Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

3 Posts

July 5th, 2018 13:00

No internet on a public wifi connection

My recently-purchased Dell G3 laptop works fine on my home wifi, and on many public wifi connections. But on the one public wifi connection that is most convenient for me to use, although I can connect to the router, the laptop says it has no internet access.

The way the public connection is configured is that, upon connecting to the router, a web page launches to agree to the terms and conditions. When I click okay, it redirects the browser to another website. On all my other devices, from that webpage, I can just click the "Done" button and browse as normal. But on my new laptop, it times out on that redirect, and I never get internet access.

I've removed the pre-installed security software, and enabled pop-ups. I've tried the Windows (10) troubleshooter.

Can anyone help me be able to access the internet on a public wifi connection? Thanks in advance

• 

16.7K Posts

July 6th, 2018 06:00

jrs2020,

Click the links below for resolving issues connecting to public wife's.

Try to Reset your WiFi : Settings>Network & Internet>Network Reset. You will lose all the Passwords and Config. Windows will reboot ,but it waits 5 min. to do it.
Try to Reset Firewall: Control Panel>Firewall>Restore Defaults . There is also an Option "Troubleshoot my Network"
Try the Troubleshooter: Control Panel>Troubleshooting>View All>Internet Connection.

Can't connect to any public Wi-Fi network through Windows 10

Fix network connection issues in Windows

3 Posts

July 6th, 2018 07:00

Jesse,

Thanks for offering assistance, but those steps did not resolve my issue. After completing those steps, I still can access the internet connection over the public wifi. 

I still successfully connect to the network, but am unable to access the internet. Upon connecting, I still see the terms and conditions logon screen, and then get redirected to another webpage (like on all other devices). But on all my other devices, that new webpage I'm redirected to gives me a "Done" button. My laptop does not give me that button, and it will not let me access the internet.

If I then launch the troubleshooter window, I get the picture below. But the troubleshooter is unable to resolve the issue.

Anyone have any further suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Picture4.png

1 Message

August 31st, 2018 09:00

Hi there, I have the same issue with my new Dell Inspiron. Did you ever resolve the issue? If so, would you mind sharing? :) Thanks in advance!

3 Posts

September 4th, 2018 08:00

Sorry, I haven't yet been able to find a solution.

I can still get Wifi just fine in my home and in some locations (e.g. coffee chains, hotel chains), but the wifi connectivity in my apartment complex's lobby still doesn't work on my Dell laptop (although it works just fine on all my other devices)

1 Message

September 5th, 2018 02:00

ok just solved it. im using free wifi service on my pc. I share 1.5m of my internet and in exchange i get to connect to others everywhere from the same service airless. the thing is I need to log in first. the login is a popup on the browser therefore you need to disable the popup blocker both plugin (if you have it ex. adblocker) and in your browser settings. ex. on firefox go to TOOLS/OPTIONS/CONTENT and uncheck sprayers BLOCK POPUP WINDOWS. enjoy

1 Message

May 5th, 2020 08:00

I'm also having this problem, 2 years later. Did you ever figure it out?

1 Message

July 20th, 2021 12:00

Hi Sandfit,

I had a similar problem i got the message not valid ip configured, I tryed a lot of methots at the end I reset my computer and it worked but after that I started to have problems again. In the General privacy options I disabled all the options and then I got an OK ip address and Internet access. I hope it works for you.

No Events found!