Highlighted
alekscourt
1 Copper

No internet

I have a Dell Dimension 4550 which I have had for ten years. I got a bug/virus/worm etc. three days and have spent the past three days trying to get back on the computer. I did a clean install TWICE and now seem to be missing some plug-ins/drivers/etc. (I'm a Mac man and the Dell is a side headache) No I can't get on the internet. I have tried everything I can think of. The Dell site asks for a 'service tag' but the numbers on the sticker on the side of my computer (there are many) are not in the correct format. Since I can't get onto the internet from the Dell and run an auto detection for the service tag, what am I supposed to do? I can't update anything unless I find the correct file/driver and download it to my Mac laptop, then put it on a thumb drive, then load it onto the Dell. Nothing has worked and it's been three days! I work at home so I need to get back to work as I've lost three days of business working on this bug. Thanks Bill gates for a lovely, reliable system. When this Dell dies, it's going in the garbage to be replaced with a Mac Desktop. 

The Dell is connected by an ethernet cable to my Apple Wireless Router. The Mac laptop works great, so there is definitely a strong internet connection. Another ethernet cable runs between the Apple router and the back of the Dell (hard wired) yet it refuses to recognize the internet. There must be something missing inside the Dell (a driver?)  regarding the ethernet. 

Any ideas as to where I go from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
alekscourt
1 Copper

Re: No internet

Sorry.....that rant against was not against Dell but rather Windows. I just don't like the Windows operating system. I've had Macs since they were invented and never had a problem. My previous comment was not exactly fair to those who love Windows, although I will never understand your love for it. LOL!

0 Kudos

alekscourt,

Did you install the drivers in order? If the notebook system utility and the chipset drivers are not installed first, the rest of the drivers will fail to install.  How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

XP SP2 and above support WPA Security, Operating systems and XP and XP SP1 do not support this security and need to be conne3cted with the ethernet cable until upgraded to SP2 or SP3.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
alekscourt
1 Copper

Notebook system Utility? Isn't that something for notebook computers? Mine is a desktop. The MAC is a notebook.

I'm not sure if I installed them in order order. I guess I'll have to remove all the extensions/drivers and then re-install them. I just now found the Service Tag/Express Service Code which  got from the Dell resources CD. since I can't online on the Dell itself for help/downloads, the whole thing is rather awkward juggling drivers/files back and forth between the two operating systems via thumb drive. LOL!

I'm using SP2 now since I can't upgrade any further until I'm on the internet. I've never had this problem before and I'm sure it's just a tiny little driver (or lack thereof) that's causing all this headache. After three days of working on this, my brain is fried and I'm going to bed so I can try again tomorrow.

Thanks for the help! I'll let you know if I get her going again.

0 Kudos

alekscourt,

Sorry about that I see this model doe not have the desktop system utility. The chipset drivers need installed first.

The drivers installing in order will help.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos