Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2010 09:00

No wireless networks detected by built in wireless card

It appears I am not the only one with this problem but I have yet to find a solution, hoping someone out there can help.

Most of the time the wireless card (Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG) in my laptop does not recognize wireless networks. However, when I use a USB wireless adapter I am able to connect to the internet without issue. The wireless card does work sometimes. For example, when I just updated the drivers, the card was able to pickup networks but as soon as I turned the laptop off and restarted it no longer detected networks. The radio is on according to diagnotic tests but the Wi-Fi catcher doesn't detect anything. The LED beside the radio switch does not light up either (if it ever did). Seems to be a software/settings issue but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

I am running a Inspiron 1520 with Vista 32-bit.

2.9K Posts

October 15th, 2010 23:00

Ksf81,

First off, check your BIOS settings and be sure the internal wireless card is enabled.  Then take a look at the 1520 manual here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1520/en/om_en/pdf/UX8623D.pdf

Review the troubleshooting procedures in the manual.  The LED beside the wireless switch on the left rear side of the cabinet should light up when the internal wireless card is working.  If not, I agree that something is amiss.   If you have other wireless software installed such as that for your USB wireless adapter, it may be disabling your internal card.

Let us know what you find.

Tony

No Events found!