Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2010 10:00

Not Getting Gigabit Out of GX280 Onboard Broadcom 57xx Gigabit Ethernet Nic

When I connect directly between a laptop having gigabit ethernet that works fine to my Dell GX280 ethernet port using a cat 5 cable (no hub, no switch, only the direct cable connectioni), speed is only 100Mb/sec even though both sides of the connection should be working at 1000Mb/sec.

I think problem is with the Broadcom 57xx on the dell motherboard of my gx280 because when I try to set the speed for it manually, the speed setting window shows no selection for 1000Mb/sec!!! It only shows "auto", "10", and "100".

I'm fairly sure I installed the correct nic drivers from the Dell website.

I don't think I have a major connection problem since I'm connecting the gx280 to the laptop directly with a cable and am not using any other devices in between. Also, the connection does work (I did a remote desktop session with no problem from one machine to the other, pings work ok, etc), so the problem is not likely to be an improperly made connection either.

I found a posting on the Dell community where a user had the same problem and implied Dell fixed it, but then said he could not comment because he was under a confidentiality agreement with Dell and to contact a Dell rep.

Well, I should not have to do that. Please just post the fix here!!!

Thanks for any help!

No Responses!
No Events found!