Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

February 20th, 2009 20:00

Number of Antennas on a Dell Inspiron 1545?

I keep finding references to the Dell Inspiron 1545 having 3 WiFi antennas.  However, I can only find 2.  The system currently has a 1397 card which is hooked up to 2 antennas.  I would like to put in an Intel WiFi Link 5300 mini-PCI card which requires 3 antennas.  I'm thinking that the specs that I am seeing are incorrect and there is only 2 antennas in this particular system.  However, I also find it hard to believe that Dell would not have 3 antennas in this new model.

As I can not find the 3rd antenna lead anywhere, can someone else comfirm that it just isn't hidden in a very weird location and I just need to know where to look?

If there is only 2 antennas in this laptop, is it still possible to use the Intel WiFi Link 5300 or will I have to have to use the Intel WiFi Link 5100?

Best Regards,

Klips

1.7K Posts

February 23rd, 2009 12:00

The informaiton I have shows the wireless options are the Dell Wireless 1397 802.11b/g half-height Mini-Card, Dell Wireless 1515n 802.11n half-height Mini-Card and Intel Wireless 5100n a/b/g/n half-height Mini-Card.  According to the documentation the system may have all three antenna wires used by some Draft-N wireless cards, however, the pictures all show only two (although the cards in those pictures only have two connections).  It may be that the number of included antennae are related to the wireless card purchased with the system, with a minimum of two.

If you upgraded the wireless to the Intel 5300 it should work with only two antennae, though probably not at full possible connection speed.  Adding a third antenna wire should also be possible as they can be replaced if needed.

20 Posts

February 24th, 2009 09:00

Thanks for the reply.  I have inspected the system as best as possible without major disassembly and can only find the two antenna leads.  The fact that they don't offer the 5300 as an option makes me believe it only has two.  I kept running across documentation that said it should have 3, but I think that is an error.

I've heard some complain about the 5100 and them recommending the 5300.  I'm using the 5300 with 3 antennas in another laptop with no problems.  So I guess I'd rather go with the 5300 as long as it works fine with just 2 antennas.

So maybe, I'll just order a 5300 half-height card and see how well it works.

Thanks again,

Klips

20 Posts

March 2nd, 2009 06:00

Update...

I have installed a Intel WiFi 5300 Half-Height card in to the Inspiron 15 (aka 1545).  I haven't checked it out on any N networks, but the G connectino seems rock solid and connects very quickly.  When I have a chance to check an N connection, I'll update.

I looked high and low.  There is only (2) antennas in this machine.  If anyone has a how-to on adding a third antenna or can verify that Dell has parts for installing a 3rd antenna, I would be greatly interested.

BR,

Klips

41 Posts

March 7th, 2009 07:00

Hi,

I have a Studio 1737, it came with a half card wifi 5100. On hand, I have an Intel WiFi Link 5300, this has three terminals mark TR1, TR3, TR2 in that order, the 1737 has three wires colored white, gray and black, which color wire goes to which terminals.

1.7K Posts

March 9th, 2009 10:00

Other than color, the antennae are all the same.

3 Posts

February 4th, 2011 23:00

I have read all on this page but one question has not been answered that I need.  For an Inspiron 1545 where exactly are the antenna's positioned at?  The answer I received before when I asked was vague at best. 

14 Posts

August 30th, 2011 11:00

You need a DW1510 wireless adapter or DW1515. I have the DW1515. It is a/b/g/n compatible. I have a Dell Inspiron 1545. Works fine, no issue. Both are Dell recommended also. These are the only cards I have found to be compatible to the 1545.

No Events found!