Manlio13
1 Nickel

RE: Optiplex 980 win 7 64 Network Printer

Jump to solution

HI,

now is night here in Italy and I will look deeply into your suggestion Tomorrow, BUT, please may be a misunderstanding , as you can read in the past post, the network printer IS NOT INSTALLED on the Optiplex or any other PC of the net, but is installed on the USB port of the router.

Therefore, as I preliminarly read that it is presumed a printer connected to a PC, let me know if your suggestion is still valid with the printer connected to the router.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Manlio,

Clearing out the old registry values, should give you a fresh start.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
Manlio13
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Rick,

this morning at 7 I started to follow step by step your instructions. At 10:30 I completed the whole procedure and tested the printer getting exactly the same result. Printing stuck into the spooler.

After that I had toi work another hour to rebuild the previous configuration as several other virtual printers were deleted from the test ( XPS , PDF etc ..)

OK not bad, if I ask support, it's my duty to follow suggestions.

Now I hope to have gained the right to have you listening my opinion. I say this as I think that yourself and your friends could help me. But I would like to convince you all that my points are worth of some thinking.

My printer failure doesn't  depend from drivers installation, neither from net spooler or firewalls - antiviru etc. Time on these areas is just wasted !

The problem is that this computer (Optiplex 980 win 7 64B), and only this one, is unable to address the printer.to

http://192.168.1.1:1631/printers/Samsung  . Being this address the US Robotics router print server.

The US Robotics 4 ports+printer  Router is the Gateway of my home network and all the computers share easily the network, they can share resources and internet, so as the network printer (upto one week ago and for years).

ONLY the Optiplex stopped to print and all test brought on the argument have one conclusion : INABILITY TO ADDRESS THE PRINTER SERVER.

I tested the port 1631: it's OK but may be the Optiplex cannot open it. This is the failure. All other computers on the network use the port and print.

Please put your competence on work on this specific problem:. what can I do to restore the capability to address the print server ?

Thanks

Manlio.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Manlio,

I could have suggested that you try attaching the printer directly to the system, but from the way it sounds, the printer will not plug and play install. I first asked about the operating system being in English because some printers do not have drivers for certain operating systems in other languages, but I have found a way, with the help of another forum member, to trick the system to install the drivers on an operating system, let's say Italian Operating system, but the printer would work in English.

When I suggested the little Delete Print Jobs macro, running it with admin rights(right click, run as administrator), it stopped the print spooler then deleted the print jobs, the restarted the print spooler. A restart was needed.

net stop spooler
del %systemroot%\system32\spool\printers\*.shd
del %systemroot%\system32\spool\printers\*.spl
net start spooler

Usually when a printer will not install, the operating system has a problem with it's installation.

The easiest method is Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings if the recovery partition is intact. If the recovery partition is not intact, then you need to follow How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

It is important to follow How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Dell System Software, v.7.0.1, A01 and the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.9.2.0.1030, A05

Intel AMT HECI, v.6.1.20.1059 PV, A04

Intel Unified AMT6 HECI Driver

The above drivers know what is attached to your specific system. If they are not installed in the exact order, anything that is attached to the system usually fails installation.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Manlio13
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Dear Rick,

your answer makes me smile, almost Always, and thanks for that. In one of so many posts I told you that I have no difficulties to print in local. It's enough that I unplug the USB on the server(Router port) and connect to one of the many USB port of the Optiplex and Ooops the printer installs as local and ... no problems. My System is in italian and US Robotics too. We came out of the Roman Empire and now we are almost a modern country :-))) despite with a lot of problems (just like you !) No problems for drivers etc etc. don't worry about that and consider also that I am not so much newbie, as I spent almost 40 years of my life in electronics (now I am 77) from semiconductors to software etc. (stop here because I start crying !)

Dear Rick I see that you continue to consider this problem a problem of installation of the printer ... it's not. The printer installs in a snap.. the drivers are new and updated, just for 64 B .. the problem is related to opening a port. When we install a network printer, generally we install as local and after we change the port. The change is only to give an address - period! The address cannot be on opur choice, is fixed by US Robotics ..  Then there is very few things to do around installation.

On that <ADMIN NOTE: Profane word removed per TOU policy> of a computer happened some thing on the TCP routines ..

All your links are known, thanks the same, so as I have no problems to play with the spooler. I have full controll on it and it's not a problem. When a Printing goes stuck into the spooler (and this is due to not being able to open that damn port), I just clean the spooler and recover the server functionality. No problems.

Thanks for all you efforts, I really appreciate it. My email address is <ADMIN NOTEEmail id removed per privacy policy>. If ever you find something to solve the port addressing problem, send me a whistle ... it will be very well accepted. Ciao

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Manlio13
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

As we were not able to understand why Windows 7, suddenly, became unable to address the US Robotics print server on the Intranet, I purchased an external Print Server, having a direct addressing IP, and solved the problem. May be one day I will discover why ..

0 Kudos