Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2006 16:00

Permanently removing startup programs appearing in Startup tab of the MSCONFIG program

How do I permanently remove programs from starting up when they don't appear in my startup file?  My MSCONFIG function shows that I have three programs that are marked as Startup that I don't want to have starting up automatically.  Further investigation revealed that these programs are being started by hidden programs having "lnkstartup" suffixes located in my C:/windows/pss folder.  These files can't be deleted using the normal File Delete process.  Therefore, every time I resort back to normal startup these programs start again.  I tried using System Restore but it doesn't help. 

28K Posts

February 16th, 2006 22:00

This really has nothing to do with Networking and should be posted in the Software - Windows XP forum.  A simple google search reveals the following solution - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MSCONFIG.htm
Note that you can either edit the registry or download a utility to do the job for you.

Steve

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 17th, 2006 17:00

I agree about this not being a networking problem, but there is something else going on here. The PSS folder contains your backup startup files--boot.ini, etc. and should not appear in Startup & should not be tampered with. You might need to do a repair of your Windows installation or a Restore to a time before you started deleting programs in Startup. Too much deletion of the startup files can cause problems. XP normally loads 40 to 50 startup items & processes, not all listed on the startup tab, and can handle this without any problem. Check msconfig, Boot.ini tab to 'Check all boot paths' to see if all is normal and make sure nothing is checked on that page--no safeboot, debug, advanced, etc.
No Events found!