Highlighted
stalinmbbs
1 Copper

Please Help Internet dosent open on public wifi

Hi everyone

I have a Inspiron 700m laptop. I use wifi internet at home and it connects excellent and evrything is fine. But When I go to the library which has a public wifi, the wlan connects to the network and shows excellent signal....But when i open the browser it says page cannot be displayed...no internet connection. I repaired the connection several times in vain

i ran the network troubleshoot which says restart the router and modem which i cant on a public network.

I tried in different libraries but same problem. The logon page also dosent open. what might be the problem. i disabled the windows and antivirus firewall.no use.

I use a netgear router with a static ip at home. Does that static ip giving the problem. i have wpa security at home.

Please help I am desperate to mak this work

thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RockSt☆r-Rick
3 Argentium

Re: Please Help Internet dosent open on public wifi

stalinmbbs,

The static ip address could be the problem. Most places use DHCP for their networks.

If you want to keep the static ip address for home, then try making another profile for use in public. Firewalls usually are the culprit in causing failed connections and security suites.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

0 Kudos
RockSt☆r-Rick
3 Argentium

Re: Please Help Internet dosent open on public wifi

stalinmbbs,

I forgot to mention. My home network is...

I updated the firmware in my wireless router.

I broadcast my SSID(I usually have people change this to make connecting easier)

I use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(Personal)

I use mixed mode b and g, n if available.(I use a wireless print server and a USB Wireless adapter)

I recommend channels 1, 6 or 11. (They work best with most devices) I use channel 11.

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds, then restart the computer and then connect to the new network.

I use DHCP at home and haven has a wireless device that didn't connect to my network, yet. Had different brand computers, iPods, wireless print adapter and USB wireless adapters.

Try changing you home to DHCP.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

0 Kudos