Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2006 05:00

Pro/Wireless 2915ABG and WPA Security preshared key

I have a Billion Bipac 7402VGO Wireless Router and am trying to connect my Inspiron 6000 with its Pro/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection.  When I set the Wireless security to WPA preshared key and create my key, the 2915 does not connect even though I have set the security to WPA Personal and typed in the key of 12 characters.  Has anyone had similar problems with security and the 2915 connector?  Is this possibly a software update issue for the 2915?  I have a desktop computer with a wireless card and it has no problem connecting to the Router with WPA security using the preshared key.  This leads me to conclude that the problem must be with the 2915 connector. 

26 Posts

January 22nd, 2006 09:00

Hi, has the preshared key got any strange chars in it (- or _ or + or anything).  I have often had problems when using these and I have no idea why, it seems to defy logic to be honest.

Alternatively this could be a manifestation of an unstable signal (to negotiate security needs a bit of stability).  Try changing the channel, moving your mobiles/turning them off. Also power cycle the router, I think some models stop trying to reconnect a given device if there are failed connection attempts. 

Dan

Message Edited by danielwest on 01-22-2006 05:46 AM

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2006 10:00

Thanks for the ideas.  I will try them tomorrow as it is late here in Melbourne.  I do not have any unusual characters in the Preshared Key, just alphanumerics lowercase.  The notebook is in the same room as the router, but the stability/channel and re-connection issues are worth trying as I have run out of thoughts myself.

Chris

33 Posts

January 23rd, 2006 01:00

My Inspiron 6000 with 2915ABG adapter and Driver Version 9.0.3.9, dated 9/12/2005, suffers from the same challenge. I have had 5 Chat sessions, updated the driver and tried everything to fix it, to no avail. As long as no security is used, it connects and reconnects after shutdown. However when WPA2-PSK security is enabled, the DHCP feature on my D-Link DWL DI-624 (using Firmware 2.70) cannot connect with the adapter to provide it an IP address. This results in the self-address function response by the adapter, and the resulting IP address of all zeros or 169.254.x.x, resulting in limited or no connectivity.

Today, the last chat session resulted in the technician stating that the 2915ABG adapter had "issues" with WPA security. He suggested that I back down to the older and more-easily defeated WEP encryption scheme. When I attempted to use it in the past, the overhead load required by WEP consistently disabled the connection on another (less powerful CPU) desktop used by my spouse. That unit does well under the WPA2-PSK security, but the Inspiron 6000 does not.

There is nothing I have found related to this challenge on the Intel website, and Intel claims that the adapter will work under WPA security despite my experience and apparently that of others.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? The Chat tech said he was not aware of Intel's efforts to fix it.

15 Posts

January 23rd, 2006 23:00

The work around is set the Dlink router to WPA2-Auto. This is not a fix and not the real solution.

I spent months trying to get the Dlink routers (DI-624c and DI-524c) to work with the Intel Centrino chips and cards. Even had Dlink RMA the 624 two times. Tried the beta 2.71. The fix I found was to buy a Linksys WRT54GS revision V4. Installed the new router, ran the auto configuration and have never had a problem since.

Good luck,

Ollie

385 Posts

January 24th, 2006 09:00

We're using "WPA2" with firmware version 2.71 (2.71b10 - Firmware Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005) with our D-Link DI-624 router. The settings we're using for the Wireless AP portion of the router are:
Channel: "1"
Super G Mode: "Super G without Turbo"
Extended Range Mode: "Enabled"
802.11g Only Mode: "Disabled"
SSID Broadcast: "Enabled"
Security: "WPA2-Auto"
Cipher Type: "TKIP"
PSK / EAP: "PSK"

Super G with Dynamic Turbo mode only operates on Channel 6 and since channel 1 or 11 works best for us… we don't use Channel 6.

We use "WPA2-Auto" because our I-8000/Win98SE/DWL-G650 can only use "WPA" (using the T-Mobile client). I had the Security mode set to "WPA2" at first and I don't recall any problems with it, at the time. There are other users using "WPA2" in "this thread"...

Both of my son's have the Intel 2915 Wireless adapter in their Inspirons (6000 & 9300) and are using the original Dell drivers (Intel version 9.0.0.61 - 10/21/2004) they were shipped with.

I don't exactly remember why... but I setup my older son's I-9300 to use the Intel Pro Wireless client, instead of the Windows client, from Start/Programs/Intel PROSet Wireless (WinXP will ask if you want to use the Intel client...).

My younger son (away at college) and I (over the phone) setup his friends' D-Link DI-624 ("DWL-926" kit) to use "WPA" and channel 6 (Default). So, his I-6000 wireless was first setup using the Windows client and this router at his friend's place (he otherwise uses Dial-up). He had no problems with this setup, there, as far as I know.

When he came home for the Thanksgiving break, he had connection problems with our router (WPA2), so I switched his I-6000 to the Intel client and then the connection was made. If I remember right, I also added "192.168.0.1" (DI-624 address) as the default Gateway in "Advanced TCP/IP Settings".

But, then (when he went back) at his friends' place... he and his friend (I-5100/DWL-G650) would lose the wireless connection every now and then. He would right-click on the Intel Pro wireless Icon in the System-tray (next to the clock) and select "Disable"... then, right-click on the Intel Pro wireless Icon again and select "Enable"... to get the connection back. When he came home for the Christmas break and connected here... no problems.

Aloha,
Rod

15 Posts

January 24th, 2006 11:00

I have both a Toshiba with Atheros chip set and a Dell 9300. On the Atheros chip I upgraded to the 4.xxx driver and on the Intel to the 9.10 driver. Both would work fine for 24 to 48 hours when the router would lock up. We were using WPA2 with AES and a 20 character key. After seaching the wireless forums.
http://www.dslreports.com/gs/atheros+driver I found that I was not alone and there was a major problem with Dlink and WPA2 with AES. That is when I went off to BestBuy for the WRT54GS V4.

The Linksys has a 63 character very random key and is using AES. No problems since it was installed in late December.

I did apply the Microsoft WPA2 update to both machines prior to the change.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357/en-us

Dell's support was at best poor. The 'techician' claimed that Dell only support WEP. Dlink was much better, but no answer. Linksys knew the problem and had a solution.

Ollie

33 Posts

January 27th, 2006 01:00

As a result of the input of others users, I discovered the key to making my D-Link DI624c work with the 2915ABG network adapter and permit full access to the internet for my Inspiron 6000.

I now have security on my wireless network and feel that I can now work on allowing file and printer sharing over my network. Because I earlier was unable to successfully enable the security without running into the "limited or no connectivity" result on the wireless connection for the Inspiron 6000, I was reluctant to open the network between the PC's.

My DI-624c uses Firmware Version 2.70, the most recent (as of 1/26/2006) Version offered by D-Link.  Other more knowledgeable users have found later Versions, but I have not.  My 2915ABG adapter is working under the Driver Version 9.0.3.9, dated 9/12/2005.

The key was the change from WPA2-PSK to WPA2-Auto as the Security mode.  Though I am unsure as to the degradation in security with this step-back, the network is secured by a strong password, and I am reasonably sure it cannot be violated unless someone resets the router back to the "default" settings through the 10-second hold of the reset button on the router.

I must say that I am disappointed with the support provided by Dell through its chat sessions and Intel whose response is to send you a listing of wireless technology files to read.  While intellectually stimulating and then frustrating, the files do not provide the answer to curing the problem.  I am especially dismayed by D-Link, a company that apparently takes the attitude that if their router works through their wireless devices on other PC’s, it obviously is not a problem for them if your PC, using an Intel adapter, has “limited or no connectivity” through their router.  Ultimately, they will pay for that attitude through an ever-shrinking customer base.

On the other hand, I am thankful that Dell supports this Forum through which so many people are willing to help others through their hard-earned, real-world expertise in finding ways to make things work.

15 Posts

January 27th, 2006 11:00

I had found the same setting. My only problem was the router would freeze ever 24 to 48 hours. It had to be powered off and back on to reset the wireless connection. The wired connections continued to work. That is way I recieved two on RMA.. Pain in bottom, and Dell was less than no help.

Ollie

385 Posts

January 27th, 2006 12:00

The 2.71 versions are BETA builds, so they're not listed on the "D-Link DI-624 support site". I'll see if I can post the direct links to the firmware files, here.

From the "first page" (6th post) of the thread I linked in my previous post...
Firmware version: 2.71 Build 7 ("click here" to download)
Firmware: 2.71b7
Hardware: C3
Date: Sep 16, 2005
This Build has worked out better for some users.

From "D-Link's FTP site"...
Firmware version: 2.71 Build 10 ("click here" to download)
DI-624 Firmware Release Notes
Firmware: 2.71b10
Hardware: C3
Date: Sep 29, 2005

Problems Resolved:
1. Added support for Wake on LAN
2. Fix Centrino Issue
3. Update Help Section
4. Add WMM
5. Fix JumpStart Issue

A lot of users are using the firmware update steps that are posted here ("click here") to try and avoid update problems.

Aloha,
Rod
No Events found!