Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2011 13:00

Problem with Dell Inspiron/Netgear wireless router

I own a Dell Inspiron E1505 with a Motorola modem and a Netgear N600 wireless router. Everything was fine until earlier this week when a power outage hit. Since the power came back on the wireless icon in the lower-right hand corner says the computer is hooked up to my wireless network with signal strength of “Excellent” and a speed of 54.0 mbps but I cannot connect to the internet. Google Chrome gives me this message:

The server at (website) can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the web service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.

Internet Explorer and Firefox also do not connect.

I’ve tried disconnecting power to both the router and the modem- for a few seconds, a few minutes, and finally overnight before going to sleep. I’ve tried right-clicking the icon in the lower right corner and repairing the connection. And I’ve tired disabling the firewall to no avail.

Any suggestions? 

2.4K Posts

September 13th, 2011 13:00

Go to Start

And the run box type cmd and press enter.

At the command promp type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter

Then type ipconfig /release and press enter

Then type ipconfig /renew and press enter.

See if that makes a difference.

September 13th, 2011 14:00

Thanks, but that didn't work

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 13th, 2011 14:00

mlarsen1926,

Electrical storms and power flickers sometimes cause wireless routers to malfunction.

Power off your ISP modem/.router and wireless router(if any). Wait 30 seconds, then power on the ISP modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router(if any).

Restart your computer.

Can you connect?

Rick

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2012 09:00

Rick I am experiencing the same thing. DNS lookup failed. My Brighthouse cable modem and netgear wireless router are working because my iPad and iPhones are working fine with them. One day my laptop was working fine with Internet and powered it down that night. Next day started it up and no Internet access. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help....... My waranty is out.....

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2012 10:00

sckwake,

Do you have McAfee installed?

Try reading...

Software Updates Causes Wireless Connectivity Issue Or Unable to Connect to Internet

If the article does not help solve the problem, Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID, if using XP, run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here.

Also include the virus program and firewall you're using.

Rick

No Events found!