Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2012 18:00

Problem with Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

Hi,

So I've been browsing through various posts on here that seem to have expressed similar problems that I'm having.

I'm unable to connect to the internet because my Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card says that "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I tried various things, but maybe the best thing for me (since I'm not the best with computers) is if someone could be be a fresh set of instructions, so I know that it can help me with my situation, instead of me trying to guess if someone else's is similar enough.

I'll give any extra info if they can tell me what I should post to help with the problem.

I have an Dell Inspiron 1520. I tried downloading various drivers and suggestions like the one posted by Larry Mullen

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/p/19241207/19780707.aspx#19780707

And others. I've tried uninstalling the Card and reinstalling it, etc.

Can anyone help me out?

Sorry for reposting this problem

Andrew

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 8th, 2012 19:00

Andrew,

Hit the Windows Key and the R keys at the same time. Type

systeminfo.txt

REMOVE THE PRODUCT ID and post the rest of the information back here. (Preferred)

or an ipconfig /all log and maybe it will reveal something.

Did you recently install/reinstal the operating system?

Rick

1 Message

March 9th, 2012 03:00

I have just aquired inspiron 5050 and although it says internet connection is there I cannot go further than that - any help out there?

17 Posts

March 9th, 2012 05:00

For whatever reason I was unable to do the systeminfo.txt thing (it said that "WIndows cannot find systeminfo.txt), but I posted the ipconfig information below.

I didn't reinstall my operating system. The problem started after I had to manually shut down my computer (by holding down the power key), because my screen went black as if it were about to shut down, but because it was taking awhile I decided to manually shut it down. When I restarted it, then I believe the problem started.

Here's the info:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]

Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Andrew>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Andrew-PC

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controlle

r

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-A9-A7-32

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.hsd1.pa.comcast.net.

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

C:\Users\Andrew>

14 Posts

March 9th, 2012 06:00

Hi. What OS are you using? If Windows, what does the Wireless Icon at Network adapater say? Is it  Not connected or Disabled?

Always a geek. http://imagicon.info/cat/12-4/emotion-2.gif

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 9th, 2012 13:00

Andrew,

Power down the isp modem/router and your wireless router(if any). Wait 30 seconds, then power on the ISP modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router(if any). Then read below.

Code 10 is a drivers missing error. Did you try system restore and go back to a day or two before this happened?

Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

Start, networking and sharing center. Click on your connection, click on properties. Have your settings match mine.

If the drivers did not install, then try using THIS DRIVER. Not sure if you need to reinstall Dell Quickset. Make sure to turn the wireless adapter on, so it installs.

After the drivers is installed, then...

Start, control panel, Device manager, network, dopuble click on Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card, advanced. Look for antenna diversity. Change it from auto to aux.

Restart your computer and try to connect.

Rick

17 Posts

March 10th, 2012 22:00

Thanks for your suggestions, unfortunately the driver you suggested didn't work. I realized that I had actually already tried that driver.

Yesterday I came home from school and restarted my computer and all of a sudden I was able to connect to the internet. And I was able to stay connected up until now. I just tried your suggestions except for doing system restore. I'm not entirely sure how to work that, I'll try to give it a shot.

I wasn't able to match up my settings with yours (the ones in the picture) because I'm not connected to anything. My computer can't detect my internet.

Any other possible suggestions or should I just try system restore? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 11th, 2012 14:00

AMiller_01,

Restart your computer and see if you can connect, again. If yes, then...

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Start, control panel, networking and sharing center, change adapter settings. Rioght click on the words on the wireless connections, then left click on properties. Look for TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6 and click on properties for each. Make sure they match the settings above.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 20th, 2012 20:00

AMiller_01,

The #2 is just showing it got installed a second time.

Maybe allowing Windows to manage your connection will help.

How can I disable wireless configuration services and enable the Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration services

How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Vista/Windows 7

Code 31

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Recommended resolution

Update the driver

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

Rick

17 Posts

Yeah, it won't reconnect. So the last time we talked I tried a few things. I ended up doing system restore to a point before a Broadcom update was installed. After the system restore, I restarted the computer and eventually I was connected to the computer. For a while it worked and I didn't have any problems. But then it started acting up again. I'm not entirely sure if its because windows was updated again or not, but it happened sometime after it updated again.

So I tried restarting my computer and reinstalling the driver and I've had some success and then eventually it goes out again.

About a day ago, I tried using my Dell Drivers and Utilities CD to reinstall the WLAN card and after restarting I was able to get it working, but then again after about a day it went out again.

Now I'm not sure why but in device manager under network adapters, Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2 suddenly appeared and apparently its not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31).

One more thing, my WLAN Mini-card now has a #2 after it, so I'm guessing there's another card somehow? This just happened today.

Sorry for all this mess, but do you have any suggestions that I can do now?

I'll try keeping my computer shut down for a while, because for whatever reason after a while I was able to connect again.

17 Posts

Just to clarify, I was able to do your instructions above because I haven't been able to reconnect yet

17 Posts

March 21st, 2012 15:00

I attempted the second article, where I'm supposed to change the Wired AutoConfig to automatic, but I'm still not able to connect.

I also tried your Recommended solution, but it says that its already up to date.

I checked the first article but I couldn't find the Intel things they were asking for, I'm guessing that's because its for XP

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 21st, 2012 17:00

AMiller_01,

You could make a system restore point. Then go to device manager, network, right click on the 1390 adapter, uninstall. Include the drivers, then restart the computer. If the drivers are on the computer, when you restart, the new hardware wizard will find the adpater and install the drivers. Try to connect.

Different approach.

Do you have any files and folders on this system you need to make copies of? If yes, do so now.

Since we don't know what the person before you installed/reinstalled, then maybe the recovery partition is still intact.

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

If not, then How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Hopefully you have the disks or the person did a  Dell - Ownership Transfers

Rick

17 Posts

April 1st, 2012 08:00

So, similarly, I had the connection going for about a week and then I lost the connection again recently.  

I attempted your first suggestion several times. I just tried it again and the WLAN card doesn't reinstall itself after I do it. Instead, Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter #8 appears.

I'll attempt your second suggestion if that's the only real hope, but I was wondering if there were any other ideas that might work?

Or even would you know how I could get a dell technician to maybe come out to help me?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 1st, 2012 11:00

AMiller_01,

If your system is under warranty, then Contact Dell Technical Support

Rick

17 Posts

April 1st, 2012 19:00

Ok, thanks.

I did find something though. When I was doing a diagnostic test, with the Driver Installation disk (you insert the disk, restart the computer, then hit F12, then run diagnostics), one of the tests resulted in an error and it said:

Error Code  0600:5126

Msg: Hardware Detect Error- Inverter cable not detected

So I'm wondering if that might be related to the problem that I'm having?

No Events found!