Re: Problem with Dell Wireless 1704 802.11b/g/n

No hope of Dell help, so live with it or find something else. It is crazy the extent to which you have to go to get the thing anywhere to just working.

0 Kudos
Lance_P
1 Copper

Well honestly, I did not even notice it missing since I have not used bluetooth in years. Wifi and 3G has served me well. (Being an iPhone,iPad owner probably made me stop relying on BT)

However, if BT is reaaly required, you could always ask or get one of those micro USB dongle which are pretty tiny and concealed.

http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTD-300-Bluetooth-3-0-adapter/dp/B005Z5HT2M/ref=pd_cp_pc_0/176-6066686-...

Might actualy increase your BT range as well 🙂

0 Kudos
skhal
1 Copper

Hello,

i had similar problem: all of a sudden the wireless connects and disconnects, comes and goes. I thought I can fix it --- tried many different things -- including going to Belkin setup page (192.168.2.1) and unfortunately there accidentally I changed the wireless setup to Access Point. now I can not convert back.to wireless. I can not get to Belkin set up. no access to 192.186.2.1. I do not want to reset to factory config, because I have other wireless devices that will be messed up. please help me to get to Belkin setup without reset. any idea?!

0 Kudos
Lance_P
1 Copper

Just look for a reset button on the router.. When it is powered on, using a paper clip or pen, keep the reset button pressed for at least 10 seconds. This should bring it to a factory reset. Good Luck.

0 Kudos
brujaluminosa
1 Copper

great suggestions -- awesome the way the dell execs sit back, collect bonuses, do layoffs, and produce crap ... then we, the customers, with our dell pocs <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> get to go online (as opposed to the horrific outsourcing service 2 which we r entitled (because we donated to dell execs) ... we search for answers 2 solve the problem:  i bought a poc, now how do i live with it until i can afford another.  i'm a senior citizen -- i can afford another ... like never ... thanks dell for my poc.  live long and prosper.  

0 Kudos
brujaluminosa
1 Copper

could the hardware be defective -- the broadcom cards -- Broadcom bcm943142hm?  

0 Kudos
sanzeev007
1 Copper

I too had same problem with the WLAN speed, always fluctuating from 5.5 mbps to 72 mbps.

I got my Dell Inspiron 14R 5420 4 months back. 

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit . I have the same WLAN card (Dell Wireless 1704 802.11 b/g/n 2.4Ghz)

I tried many things to make the WLAN speed stable. I tried several versions of driver. But nothing become fruitful until I found out a simple solution that worked for me.

Just Follow these Steps:

1. Go to the Device Manager

2. Go to the Network Adapters and expand it. You will see your WLAN Card name there. (Dell Wireless 1704 802.11 b/g/n 2.4Ghz)

3. Right click the WLAN name and select PROPERTIES.

4. Go to ADVANCED tab and Select BANDWIDTH CAPABILITY from property.

5. Select the 11b/g:20/40 Mhz and Click OK  (here the default value is set to 11b/g:20 Mhz which has been lowering the speed to 72mbps)

6. Now the WLAN had been set to increased bandwidth capacity. Check the speed from Network and Sharing Center. You'll be getting 150mbps WLAN speed.

This completely solved my problem. Hope this works for all having the same issue.

The fluctuation in speed still occurs but only if you are far from your router or if there are obstacles in between your laptop and router. Otherwise speed is stable at 150mbps.

0 Kudos
sanzeev007
1 Copper

I too had same problem with the WLAN speed, always fluctuating from 5.5 mbps to 72 mbps.

I got my Dell Inspiron 14R 5420 4 months back.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit . I have the same WLAN card (Dell Wireless 1704 802.11 b/g/n 2.4Ghz)

I tried many things to make the WLAN speed stable. I tried several versions of driver. But nothing become fruitful until I found out a simple solution that worked for me.

Just Follow these Steps:

1. Go to the Device Manager

2. Go to the Network Adapters and expand it. You will see your WLAN Card name there. (Dell Wireless 1704 802.11 b/g/n 2.4Ghz)

3. Right click the WLAN name and select PROPERTIES.

4. Go to ADVANCED tab and Select BANDWIDTH CAPABILITY from property.

5. Select the 11b/g:20/40 Mhz and Click OK  (here the default value is set to 11b/g:20 Mhz which has been lowering the speed to 72mbps)

6. Now the WLAN had been set to increased bandwidth capacity. Check the speed from Network and Sharing Center. You'll be getting 150mbps WLAN speed.

This completely solved my problem. Hope this works for all having the same issue.

The fluctuation in speed still occurs but only if you are far from your router or if there are obstacles in between your laptop and router. Otherwise speed is stable at 150mbps.

BBDom
2 Bronze

Also try disabling your Bluetooth in the device manager (Bluetooth radios -> Dell 1704 Bluetooth -> right click and disable).

My Wifi was very stable after doing this - with the Bluetooth on, it dropped constantly, froze occasionally and had intermittent connection loss.

0 Kudos
avim2809
1 Copper

RE: Problem with Dell Wireless 1704 802.11b/g/n

Hello Alan,

I have just purchased a vostro 3560 and have the same problem. I have done all of your recommendation and more without any help

please help

0 Kudos