Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 5th, 2013 20:00

Problem with Dimension E310 & Netgear N300 Wifi USB Adapter

I can't get the adapter to work - it doesn't see any available wireless networks. Before I get into a lot of detail, is this ancient computer even capable of connecting to the internet wirelessly? Please forgive my extreme ignorance on this subject. I'm hoping somebody can give me a "yes" or "no" answer, so I'll know whether to pursue this any further.

Thank you.

2.6K Posts

September 6th, 2013 13:00

Hi Susan9,

Though Dimension E310 does not have a built in Wireless card, this computer should support external USB WiFi adapters.

Netgear N300 WiFi USB Adapter should connect to this computer. Have you checked the functionlaity of the USB Wifi adapter by connecting it to a different computer?

Are the Netgear N300 WiFi USB Adapter drivers installed in the computer?

Please check and reply.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 7th, 2013 00:00

Nikhil,

Thanks so much for responding. I installed the Wifi adapter on my mom's computer, and it worked fine. I don't know if I should mention her computer is a little bit newer than mine, and she is running Vista. My computer is running XP Media Center Edition. Of course, there are quite a few other differences between our computers, but I don't know if I should mention all that.

Yes, the drivers are installed - I followed all the directions that were on the package - I inserted the disk before plugging in the adapter, etc. 

Thank you,

Susan

2.6K Posts

September 9th, 2013 19:00

Hi Susan,

I suggest you to check if the Wireless Adapter is detected in Device manager. Click “Start” > right click “My Computer” > select “Manage” from the list > click “Device Manager”.

Check and post the results.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 9th, 2013 21:00

Nikhil,

When I follow your instructions and click on Device Manager, this is what I see: (GFI software is my security software)

2.6K Posts

September 10th, 2013 15:00

Hi Susan,

I suggest you to disable the GFI security software in the system and check if the functionality of Wireless adapter.

Please post the results.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 12th, 2013 17:00

Hi Nikhil,

I'm not comfortable leaving my computer with no security software, even for a short time. Suggestions?

Thank you,

Susan

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 12th, 2013 22:00

This is another list of the network adapters - including the hidden devices. I forgot I used to have a D-link DWA 552 wireless adapter. I don't think it's installed anymore, because I don't see the antennas sticking out the back of the computer.

2.6K Posts

September 13th, 2013 17:00

Hi Susan,

Check if the GFI antivirus software has exceptions to Firewall settings, if yes then give exceptions to Netgear wireless adapter listed under GFI firewall settings.

If you are not using D-Link DWA-552, it should be uninstalled from the system.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 14th, 2013 16:00

Nikhil,

Nevermind my last question, I'm going to contact GFI support and see if they can help me with making the firewall exception. I'll let you know if the adapter starts working, or if I still need help.

Thanks,

Susan

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 14th, 2013 16:00

Hi Nikhil,

What kind of exception to the firewall - application, port, network, or gateway? Those are my 4 choices under "Firewall Exceptions".

Thanks.

2.6K Posts

September 16th, 2013 18:00

Hi Susan,

You need to give exceptions to all the ports, applications, network and gateway related to Netgear N300 Wireless USB Adapter.

Sure, please contact the GFI antivirus software support for the same and let me know the results.

No Events found!