Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 26th, 2010 10:00

Problem with Intel wireless network adapter

Hi - I run an Inspiron 1520 with an Intel PROset wireless 3945ABG WiFi adapter. The WiFi connection keeps dropping out, even when I am sitting next to the router (BT HomeHub). I know it is not a router problem as another PC on the network continues operating without any problems.

Every now and then, the adapter loses connection and I have to use the 'repair wireless network connection' utility to fix it, which disables it, enables it and renews the IP address. This does not always work as it sometimes claims that it then cannot find any available wireless networks (even, as I say, when sitting next to the router). Sometimes it even claims that there is no supported WiFi adapter available in the system, even when it was operating fine a few seconds beforehand.

The problem seems to be getting worse and is more likely to occur if I have taken the laptop off mains power and moved it somewhere else in the house, even though the signal strength is still at the 'very good' or 'excellent' level. I don't know if this is a hardware or software problem. I tried updating the driver for the adapter but this has not made any difference.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks, Chas

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 26th, 2010 11:00

Chas,

Have you tried updating the firmware in the wireless router? They usually sit in a warehouse and the firmware gets out-dated.

Try these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. Then tell us if you still have some problems connecting.

Make and model of computer (Inspiron 1520) and which operating system? 32-bit or 64-bit? Try running  Finding System Information at the bottom, it will tell you the network adapters you have on your computer, that will also be helpful.

Rick

4 Posts

October 27th, 2010 02:00

Hi Rick - many thanks for this.

I've tried everything you suggest (the BT HomeHub regularly downloads firmware updates anyway) and I changed the channel to 11. I also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Adapter.

For a while it seemed to have worked but then late last night the connection dropped out again and it's done it twice more this morning for no apparent reason.

It's a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Duo CPU T7250 @ 2GHz, with 2.00Gb of RAM, 32-bit. I'm running Windows XP professional with service pack 3.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a hardware problem.Any thoughts?

Chas

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 27th, 2010 08:00

Chas,

My wife's XP Computer goes offline after it's sitting for a period of time.

Try  How can I disable wireless configuration services and enable the Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration services and see if it's any better with Windows managing your connection.

Try the latest drivers from Intel® Driver Update Utility for Intel® wireless adapters

When not using the computer, it may be best to shut down the computer. I think it's an XP issue with the wireless adapters, just my opinion. If I restart my wife's computer, it stays connected as long as it's being used.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 28th, 2010 11:00

Chas,

Sounds like the issue I had with an old Inspiron B130. I found this old like to the drivers. try using this version and see if it improves, if you can.

Download version 10,5,1,0 of Intel ProSet wireless. Make a system Restore point, just in case.

Rick

4 Posts

October 28th, 2010 11:00

Hi Rick

I've tried all of these as you suggested but the problem is still there. If anything, it's getting worse because last night, after losing connection, it was claiming that there was no adapter in the system at all. When I re-booted, it was there again.

The connection drops out while I am using it, so it's not the same problem as on your wife's computer.

As I said earlier, I think it could be a hardware fault with the adapter itself. The initial problem was as if it was out of range of the network or the internal aerial (do they have aerials?) wasn't working properly. Now it's as if the laptop is sometimes failing to be able to locate the adapter at all.

I appreciate all your help on this but feel I've taken up enough of your time. When I finally get it fixed I'll let you know what it was!

All the best

Chas

6 Posts

March 27th, 2011 06:00

Chas:

I was wondering if you ever got this resolved.  It sounds exactly like what is going on w/ my wife's Studio 1569 w/ an Intel Centrino Advanced N 6200 network adapter.  I'm leaning towards replacing the network adapter to see if that will fix the issue.  But when I ran across your thread, I had to wonder if you ever got it fixed, and if so, how.

JML

4 Posts

March 27th, 2011 07:00

Hi - like so many things in life instead of fixing it I ended up living with it and plugging the laptop in to the router instead. So, no I don't have wireless connection any more although it is enabled and I still see it connect and then drop out after a while.

I also suspect that it is a hardware problem and am considering taking it in somewhere to get it checked out. The trouble is I don't trust anyone when it comes to laptop diagnostics.  Sorry I can't help and good luck fixing the problem.

Chas

21 Posts

July 18th, 2011 20:00

I have a 1520 laptop, and I can only sympathize.  My laptop loses connection a few times a day, more or less.  Getting rid of ProSet Wireless Manager and letting XP manage the wifi and updating the drivers didn't help at all.  Other devices (desktops with USB wifi adapters) stay connected ok.

One piece of advice I haven't tried yet is to "re-seat the wireless card."  Guess I'll have to research what and where that is.  After that, it's just a matter of unplugging it and re-plugging it.

Another option would be to get a USB wifi adapter for the laptop.  It would be a quick and dirty way to get dual-band and 300 Mb/s.  I assume a new device would not have the same problems as the old device, i.e., the problem is in the laptop's wireless device, not in the operating system.  Hope springs eternal.

By the way, I went to Intel to update the driver.  They gave me a choice between updating only the driver, or updating ProSet, also.  Why not, the price was right, I took both.

The ProSet update changed the configuration of my computer, including requiring me to log in every time the computer starts up.  When I went into User Accounts to change back the login process, I got a message like, "You have a piece of software on your computer that will not allow you to change the login process like you're trying to do.  Get rid of that software, and you'll be able to make the change."

So, I had to get rid of ProSet.  No great loss.  It provided nothing that XP doesn't already provide.  But the driver upgrade didn't help anything, and I'm kinda annoyed at Intel for sabotaging the ProSet.  Other people might have had more trouble getting their computers unscrewed up.

So if you update, I recommend just do the driver; leave the ProSet alone.  But updating the driver won't work, anyway, I don't think.

-neil-

21 Posts

July 18th, 2011 20:00

If I could edit that, I'd make the blue darker...

1 Message

November 28th, 2013 11:00

So I know this is an old post, but I fixed my connection drop/not connecting at all problems by doing two things:

1. In the device configuration settings Advanced tab, select the Ad Hoc QoS Mode and uncheck the "Use Default Value box". Select WMM Disabled from the drop down list.
  2. On the Power Management tab, uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Hope this helps others!

No Events found!