Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2004 14:00

Problems with my dell computer, have reformatted twice now, now can't get ethernet adapter to work

Computers..gotta love them.  My problem is that Windows XP has now twice become irreversibly damaged, where it won't boot up.  I have formatted the hard drive and installed a fresh copy 4 weeks ago, it seemed fine, then woke up yesterday morning to find wouldn't boot up again.  Error message this time was a missing explorer file extension.  Reformat time again.  :smileysad:

Apart from being stressed and annoyed, i have the computer up and running again, which is essential as I do medical transcription work daily on it.  However my ethernet won't get going again.  I have loaded the driver from the Dell resource CD, it says the driver is installed when I do that, but in device manager, the ethernet still has a yellow question mark next to it.  Each restart of the computer will find the new hardware, but cannot find the driver for it, and then reports a problem with the installation and stops.  I have worked with my DSL provider over the phone, and they tried but said it was another problem they couldn't help with, and to contact Dell.

I know other people who bought the same dell computer as mine (4600) and have no problems.  I have adaware, spyware doctor, spybot S&D, spyware blaster, hijack this, bazooka, cw shredder, macafee anti-virus, a firewall and that all seems to be under control.

Could I have a hardware problem?  Could that cause my software crashes that kills windows XP?  I had updated to the service pack 2 a couple of weeks ago, the last thing the computer did was update another little windows thing the previous night before the latest crash. 

With the new XP on (again), i have tried to update it, and it says it is not possible, and for me to order a CD.

HELP PLEASE!!!  I bought a good dell computer so I would have a reliable one for work, i have all the software protection i think i need, but I cannot rely on this one for work.  I am off this morning to buy a backup cheap tower somewhere, in ready for the next fatal crash!

• 

16.7K Posts

October 14th, 2004 17:00

kiwiwdoc,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

What is your system service tag number? I will need that to see what hardware you have in your computer.

28K Posts

October 14th, 2004 18:00

Kiwidoc,

Did you install the chipset drivers for your motherboard as the first drivers installed after reinstalling Windows?  If the network card is integrated on the motherboard, the drivers for the network adapter will not install correctly until the chipset drivers are installed.

Steve

9 Posts

October 14th, 2004 20:00

Hi, My service tag number is: 3H9ZQ41.  Thanks! :)

And, Steve, yes, the ethernet driver was the last one I tried to install.  The first being the audio, video, intel chipset and intel 10/100 LOM drivers.

I have also tried removing the ethernet device, and trying again from the cd, but still the same thing occurs (can't install new hardware found).

Thanks again,

Message Edited by kiwidoc on 10-14-2004 04:09 PM

28K Posts

October 14th, 2004 21:00

Are there any other devices shown in Device Manager as being problem devices?  If so, what are they?  Have you tried using the ethernet driver that can be downloaded from the Dell Support site?

Steve

28K Posts

October 14th, 2004 22:00

You have an Intel network adapter integrated on the motherboard.  The drivers at the following site should be the ones you need:

Steve

9 Posts

October 14th, 2004 22:00

Steve, yes, our webcam is also coming up as a 'generic digital camera' and has the yellow questionmark beside it.  I tried installing this 2 x after uninstalling it, according to the manufacturers instructions (there is a certain order they want you to install the driver, then plug in the camera via its usb port). 

I went to the dell support page just now, and cannot find the ethernet driver to download.  Do you know its name?  The one on the resource CD is Broadcom ethernet control suite.

thanks, Audra

9 Posts

October 15th, 2004 00:00

Steve, thanks for your reply.  I downloaded that driver, and installed it from the folder's setup file as directed, restarted the computer.  It again found the new hardware (ethernet, and now the digital camera (web cam) - I didn't have this installed before, but tried it after you asked me if I was having any other problems, thought I would put EVERYTHING on that used to work before), but again, it said it couldn't install the hardware. 

Windows has just shown some updates to download, i'm not sure if it is the service pack 2 coming through or not.  I will let this happen, then try again.

Any other ideas?  I just don't why this is happening.  4 weeks ago, when I had to reformat, and I reloaded everything, it all worked fine.  I am doing/have done exactly the same this time, but can't get things working again.

I just sure hope that the computer doesn't completely die on me again.  Like I said, I NEED it for work.....

thanks again for all your help!

Audra

9 Posts

October 15th, 2004 01:00

Just an update, i have downloaded 41 updates, uninstalled the ethernet and webcam, and restarted the computer.  Again it refound the new hardware, and couldn't install either of them????????????

• 

16.7K Posts

October 15th, 2004 13:00

kiwiwdoc,

You can download the network drivers by clicking the link below.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=DIM_P4_4600&category=5&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=2834&devlib=5

Click the link below to download the chipset drivers. These should be loaded before any other drivers are loaded.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=DIM_P4_4600&category=0&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=3268&devlib=27

9 Posts

October 15th, 2004 14:00

Jesse, thanks for those links.  I downloaded and installed them according to their instructions, uninstalled the yellow-questionmarked ethnet controller (and the web cam while i was at it), restarted the computer, and the same thing happened,  'unable to install new hardware'.

You mention the order they must be done.  Am i able to 'uninstall' all the drivers, and 'reinstall' them, without copying a new copy of windows xp into the windows folder....when you do that, you lose the links to 'my documents' and the programs i have installed e.g. for work, won't run, without also being reinstalled etc...

Thanks again,

Audra

9 Posts

October 20th, 2004 00:00

I am just so disappointed with this computer.  I cannot get the webcam to be accepted as new hardware, neither the Ethernet adapter so I can use DSL internet (which I need for work!).

Does anyone have any ideas how to get them going?

Could it be a hardware problem (therefore under Dell's warranty???)

Please help!

Thanks,
Audra

28K Posts

October 20th, 2004 00:00

Is the webcam a USB device?  Do any other USB devices work on this computer?  If USB devices don't work and the integrated ethernet driver doesn't install, again these are symptoms of not having the chipset drivers properly installed. 

Steve

9 Posts

October 20th, 2004 10:00

Hi Steve, yes, i have a digital still camera, a printer, another digital camera, the optical mouse and the dsl modem temporarily running via usb, the last usb is the web camera, the last thing i tried to install (it was not as important, so left it until last).

How do I then reinstall the chipset drivers???  I have tried to twice already, going by the above posts.  It says that it was 'successful' but nothing changes. I uninstall the hardware from device manager, reboot, it finds them again, but won't install.

Do I need to replace my copy of windows (have done that twice by reformatting, and twice by reinstalling into the same folder, and twice by reinstalling into a different folder (all from the previous two computer 'deaths' this last month, where it wouldn't reboot, so installed spare copy to rescue photos/documents etc, then tried repairing windows using the CD - never worked - then new copy in same folder 'Windows' then finally a reformat! and reload) I don't want to go through that again if I don't have to.  You lose the 'links' to all your programs that were installed in the registry etc.

Can I uninstall the drivers and reinstall them without killing windows/replacing windows to do it???   I still don't understand why the computer died twice in the first place.  I wouldn't have thought a windows update would do that.

I just want it to work again, and to keep working. 

Thanks for your help,
Audra

28K Posts

October 20th, 2004 13:00

If the other USB devices work, then it is probably not a chipset driver problem.  I'm at the end of suggestions.  The fact that you have had to reload Windows so many times, coupled with this recent problem leads me to suspect a hardware problem, but without having seen it, and without knowing everything that you have installed and run on your computer, it is difficult to come to a firm conclusion.  You might try unplugging all other devices, except the mouse and keyboard, and see if that allows you to install the ethernet adapter and web cam.  If it does, then that would indicated a problem with one of the other devices or its driver. 

Steve

9 Posts

October 25th, 2004 11:00

Hello again Steve,

I tried what you said.  I was a little hesitant too, in-case of causing a problem/crash, so waited until the weekend where if window's died again, I could reload everything during the weekend, and not miss out on any work.

It didn't make any difference though.  I uninstalled both the ethernet adapter, and the webcam from device manager, unplugged everything but the mouse, restarted the computer....it found the 'new hardware'..the ethernet adapter again, and the SAME message about not being able to install the new hardware, and that I might have trouble with it!  yeah.

Dell actually rang on Friday, and wanted me to sign up for a broadband internet deal, um, no thanks. 

My second back-up computer should be delivered this week.  Once I get all of my work-related software onto it (the DSL modem driver, a Citrix connection program, and Microsoft Word is all I need) I will call the Dell service line to see if I can have it looked at. 

Thanks again,

Audra

No Events found!