Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2009 00:00

Purchasing an wireless pci adapter dell 530s

Hello, i dont have an wireless pci  adapter built into my dells inspiron 530s. i was thinking of purchasing one to install into the desktop. I have one PCI slot available left. what would be the best pci adapter to buy.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 9th, 2009 03:00

The best option would be to buy a USB connected wireless adapter.  The "S" model PC's require "low profile" PCI cards which will limit what you can find.  There are "G" and  the newer "N" model adapters and depending on your wireless router's capabilities will determine which type to get.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 9th, 2009 06:00

Get a Wireless Bridge instead.  WGA600N

LINKSYS WGA600N Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter : Networking ... 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

• Works on any platform - ideal for wirelessly connecting any Ethernet-ready device

6.4K Posts

July 18th, 2013 14:00

According to the on-line manual, the Inspiron 620s has three PCI-e X1 slots and one PCI-e X16 slot.  The X16 slot is intended for an add-on graphics card.

You should be able to find a PCI-e X1 wireless adapter card, but you need to be aware that the small chassis you have requires a low-profile card.  A standard card will not have a bracket on the end that is short enough to fit your computer chassis.

The service manual for your Inspiron 620s is here:  Inspiron 620s Service Manual.

26 Posts

thanks for the help can u suggest me a pci adapter  

on this site

www.flipkart.com/.../pr

thanks

26 Posts

i want to know does my dell inspiron 620s has pci wirless adapter slot ?

6.4K Posts

July 18th, 2013 17:00

Is that vendor your only choice?  He has a PCI-e X1 adapter here:  TP-LINK TL-WN781ND 150 Mbps Wireless Adapter.  But that card does not indicate that a low-profile bracket is available.  Before you order, you will need to contact the vendor to see if the bracket can be exchanged for a low-profile bracket.

If you could order from Newegg, you would find this:  StarTech.com PCI-express Wireless Network Adapter.  The difference between the first card and this one is that the StarTech card has a contents listing that includes a low profile bracket.

Just because the first card does not explicitly state that it can fit a low profile bracket does not mean that it cannot.  If you contact the vendor and ask, he may be able to help you get one for his card.

26 Posts

July 19th, 2013 02:00

yes, thanks but i can't order from startech.com i am living india  i need  a one more help from u that which graphic card is Compatibility to my pc and . I will surely ask to company engineer about this wirless adapter information

thanks again

6.4K Posts

July 20th, 2013 15:00

From your private message to me, you indicate that someone has told you that your computer has built-in wifi.  I never said that, and the computers that do come equipped with wifi use a special mini-card for that purpose.  So far as I can tell, your computer does not have a slot for such a card.

If you take a look at the earlier messages in this thread, you will see that you have at least one alternative wireless option.  It is possible to purchase a USB wireless adapter that simply plugs in to an available USB port.  If you insist on an internal card, however, you must find a vendor who will provide a low-profile bracket for their PCI-e wireless card.

EDIT:  Your computer does have a built-in Ethernet port on the rear panel.  If your Internet provider has given you a device that has an Ethernet port, you can attach an appropriate cable from that port to the port on the rear panel of your computer.

26 Posts

July 21st, 2013 01:00

thanks my problem is solved i just want u to tell  me which is best  usb wireless adapter and how much range that adapter can give me  i want 100m above
thanks

26 Posts

July 21st, 2013 01:00

www.flipkart.com/.../pr

from this site

6.4K Posts

July 22nd, 2013 21:00

Wireless network adapters are not very good at long range application.  Most of the adapters with which I am familiar begin to have trouble at 30 to 50 meters.  In order to achieve 100 meters you would need an adapter having an external antenna, which would exclude those adapters that have little to no physical extension beyond the computer chassis.  Of the devices on the linked page, I would think that the Belkin F5D8055ak would have the best chance of seeing a wireless router from 100 meters.  Additionally, you would need to be sure that there are no physical obstructions between the wireless router and the wireless adapter.  Even so, I cannot guarantee you would get 100 meters even if using the Belkin F5D8055ak adapter.

26 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 01:00

thanks man

No Events found!