RE: Really weak Wi-Fi signal - XPS 13 9350

Did you get the WiFi resolved? I have the same XPS model and am very frustrated experiencing the same issues you describe. I get better internet use out of my HP 2000, which is incredibly disappointing with the exorbitant amount of money I paid for this.

0 Kudos
FCH_BE
1 Copper

Hello,

I'm having the exact same problem as the one defined in this post with a veeery bad reception on the wifi while other laptops (even older ones) get no particular issues.

I got this XPS 13 windows 10 around end of december 2015. My network driver version is 1.555.0.0 (26/11/2015).

I will NOT open this laptop to check if the wires are properly connected.

Please advise. Is there any suitable solution for this now ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
andycas
1 Nickel

When you have really bad WiFi, is there anything plugged in to your right hand USB port?

I'm not suggesting this as a solution I'm just curious as this massively affected my machines.

I have sent one back to Dell (i7/16gb/512gb variant) and the second one (same issues) is going back as soon as Dell get their act together. (9 weeks and counting for a replacement)

My advice is if you are within your first 30 days of ownership take it back to the shop and demand a refund. I think there is a serious power management issue with this machine which is starving the WiFi card of power.

0 Kudos
FCH_BE
1 Copper

Hello Andycas,

Yes, my mouse is plugged into the right usb port but unplugging it doesn't improve the reception.

My colleagues working on VOSTRO are receiving a 2/4 bars wifi signal while I don't even see the wifi network on my computer.

This is really troublesome since wifi connection has been put forward for this XPS13 as there is no native Ethernet port (not without the +75€ adapter bonus bill) ...

Is this laptop's wifi antena proportional to the machine size ? ...

0 Kudos
andycas
1 Nickel

I found plugging in to the right hand USB resulted in degraded or absent WiFi signal. I have a couple of USB memory sticks which block WiFi completely, and my Dell D3100 docking station slows it to a crawl.

To answer your question there is no solution for this.

I worked with Dell on this issue for months and tried 6 different routers, on 4 different ISPs, in 3 countries and 2 continents, all had the same issue so it's nothing to do with your router or ISP.

I also swapped out the Broadcom card for an Intel 8260 card which made a small improvement (the USB sticks slowed the network rather than cutting it completely) but it did not resolve the issue.

Dell replaced the WiFi card, motherboard, daughter board and finally I took the machine back to the shop for a full replacement but the issue remains.

0 Kudos

I was having issues connecting my brand new XPS 13 9350 to my 5ghz wifi while doing initial setup.  It had the latest drivers from dell.  One thing that seemed to have helped, but requires more testing to confirm is changing the WMM adapter settings for the dell wireless card  from Auto to Enabled.

vferko
1 Copper

Did it work?

0 Kudos

Yes.

0 Kudos
andycas
1 Nickel

I sent 3 back to Dell due to WiFi and related issues. I'm now on my 4th which is the latest 7th gen processor and Killer WiFi card, the issues are still not fully fixed, I think the card shielding is to blame, too much kit in too small a form factor requiring too much power from an overwhelmed battery.

Lost the will to fight it anymore.

"802.11ac (like 11n) requires the WLAN to have AES encryption (or Open) and WMM."

supportforums.cisco.com/.../ask-expert-wireless-80211ac-configuration-and-client-interoperability

If you have problems with WIFI, it is worth a try to change a setting?

andycas - did you try changing the setting?

0 Kudos