Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2008 12:00

Realtek Ethernet connection

Can anyone tell me what realtek Ethernet connection is? On my old dimension 4550 I have dial up internet. New computer had the realtek ethernet connection that doesn't work with dial up. The new Inspiron 518 has no modem, purchased one from dell and it won't install. So what do I need to get an internet connection?

6.4K Posts

December 18th, 2008 13:00

Practically all computers sold now have an integrated Ethernet port.  The connector for this looks very much like a phone jack but is a lot larger.  This is the port you would likely use if you had a high speed internet provider.  You would connect an Ethernet cable between the port on the back of the computer to a similar port on the high speed modem.  If you have no high speed connection, such as DSL or Cable Modem, you will have no place to use an Ethernet cable.

I assume that the modem you purchased from Dell is a telephone modem.  Is there more info on the problem of installing it?  Normally you would simply insert the modem card into an available PCI slot inside the computer, start the computer, the computer would notice the new hardware, and offer to install it.  What you do then depends on the instructions that came with the modem card.  Some installation programs tell you to cancel the "Found New Hardware" wizard and insert the CD that normally accompanies the PCI card.  This would then autorun and bring up an installation wizard of its own.  You would follow the directions that appear on the screen.

No Events found!