Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2011 15:00

Reimaged Inspiron mini 1012 - ethernet driver? how to connect?

I've had to reinstall XP on my Inspiron mini 1012.  I can't get on the internet.

What driver do I need to enable my internal ethernet? Any help is appreciated.

14 Posts

August 27th, 2011 16:00

I get this error. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 28th, 2011 06:00

scottli,

You first decided to format and install, correct?

The notebook system utility and the chipset drivers need installed first, or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

14 Posts

August 28th, 2011 07:00

Hi Pudg - thanks for responding.

I didn't reformat. I simply inserted the Re-installation CD for Windows XP sp3 and followed the prompts.

As for the Resources - do I have to thus install all of them on all the tabs? System, Utilities, Drivers, Applications, etc?

Also - when I was installing XP, a prompt came up asking me which partition to install on.

.- FAT

C - large partition - seemed like the right one

D - restore partition

I chose "C" and told it to replace the existing on.

Thanks again for your help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 28th, 2011 07:00

scottli,

XP repair...

Insert operating system disk and restart the computer.

Press any key to boot from CD

Choose install

Do the agreement

NOw choose repair. Leave the operating system disk in until you see the Welcome Screen.

You'll need to get all the Windows Updates.

Rick

14 Posts

August 28th, 2011 17:00

Hi - process is asking me "which windows installation would you like to log onto

?

14 Posts

August 28th, 2011 17:00

I entered 1 for the only one there 1: c:\WINDOWS.

Asks me for admin password?

I pressed enter cuz i dont know a password.

Now I'm stuck at dos

c:\WINDOWS>

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 28th, 2011 19:00

scottli,

You installed Windows instead of repairing it. If you have everything you need, then insert the disk and format and install.

Rick

14 Posts

August 29th, 2011 06:00

Hi Pudg

Ok - sorry to be a pest.  But this is really confusing me.

1) I did NOT first do a reformat of my C drive (not manually anyway).

2) I inserted the rebuild CD and simply followed the prompts.  I knew that I was installing a new version, thus replacing my old version.

3) I successfully re-installed Windows XP, got to the desktop and everything.

4) Began installing (or attempting to install) drivers, etc from the Resource CD.

This is where I ran into the problem with the network issue and posted to the Dell forum.

Then, I followed what you wrote :

"XP repair...

Insert operating system disk and restart the computer.

Press any key to boot from CD

Choose install"

I chose "repair".  Now, I am stuck at a dos screen that is asking for an administrators password.

I pressed enter because I don't know a password.  Now I'm stuck at a dos prompt:  C:\WINDOWS>

So - should I just insert the CD and start again?

Also, besides the drivers you kindly linked to this discussion above, do I have to install the components visible on the "Systems", "Utilities" and "Applications" tabs of the Dell Resources CD?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 29th, 2011 07:00

scottli,

XP the admin should be blank(no password)

I recently installed the Operating system on a co-workers Dell Mini 9. The prompt for selecting which operating system was because the installation wanted to install, again. I have to format and install to wipe everything on C: then start over.

Rick

14 Posts

August 30th, 2011 19:00

Well - I've reimaged again and am able to connect to the internet wired.  I cannot connect WIRELESS. When I attempt to install the Dell Wireless WLAN 1397 Half MiniCard (4312bg), I get a "hardward not found" error.  I had not problem connecting wirelessly before the reimage. What gives?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 31st, 2011 00:00

scottli,

The chipset drivers need installed first. The follow the order. Even though this was an image, sometimes the image does not install everything, unless it is a factory image. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

You'll need to read How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

Rick

14 Posts

August 31st, 2011 06:00

Hi Pudg - this time, I DID download the drivers in the right order, including the chipsets, because you advised me to do that a couple of days ago. There were only 2 chipsets available on the Dell resource CD that was provided to me. I'm stumpled as to what to do next.  Everything seems to work now except the wireless network.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 31st, 2011 06:00

scottli,

After you install the chispet drivers, everything else should install.

Now try installing...

Realtek RTL8103EL-GR

Atheros Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

Dell Wireless WLAN 1397 Half MiniCard (4312bg)

Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module

Then

Dell Wireless Enable / Disable Application and

Rick

No Events found!