Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2017 16:00

Setup WOL for Dell XPS L421X

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying for a while now to setup WOL on my laptop. My first roadblock is that the option "Allow this device to wake computer" is grayed out.

Checked BIOS setting, but cant see anything connected to LAN. Im running BIOS version A16 from Dell, dated 12/17/2013. I see a BIOS download dated 1/20/2014, which i did download and install, but msinfo32 still shows the one dated 12/17/2013

I did test for magic packets using Depicus tool and it seems to be working fine. I played out the registry setup, but still nothing. Speaking to dell support I was told that my motherboard does support WOL. 

Can someone help me in setting up WOL?

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

March 15th, 2017 17:00

I do not believe this system has WOL, here is an older thread discussing this and while it somewhat worked (the system was sleeping and not hibernating) it sounds like it was very limited. Unless you found something in BIOS on this last update you installe (but it sounds like you didn't) it sounds like it might not work.

I am going to be out of the office until Monday, but if you find something different or have further questions please let me know in the thread. Sorry about this. 

Best regards,

Brad

4 Posts

March 15th, 2017 19:00

Hi Brad, thanks for your reply. Before posting here i had a chat with a tech rep and she mentioned that my laptop does support WOL.

Also regarding the BIOS install, I did download and install the 2014 dated version (which is still A16), but msinfo32 still shows my BIOS version A16 as dated 2013.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 18th, 2017 04:00

The UEFI BIOS update will likely have been made by Dell on the 17th of December 2013 and then tested for a couple of weeks internally and then released on their website on the 20th of January 2014 hence the discrepancy between dates.

4 Posts

March 18th, 2017 09:00

Ok, so does that mean that the BIOS i have is the latest one? Also, does this BIOS allow for WOL?

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

March 20th, 2017 14:00

Yes, this is the latest BIOS (A16), and Philip is correct about the release dates. I unfortunately did not find anything internally/externally showing that the BIOS has/ever had WOL support (I also tried finding it on an older version of the BIOS and did not see it listed). While there might be some workaround I did not come across one.

If you find something different please let us know.

Best regards,

Brad        

4 Posts

March 20th, 2017 15:00

Bummer. I was excited to hook it up to Tasker. Guess Ill have to live with Task Scheduler. But thanks for your help guys

No Events found!