jwatt
5 Iridium

Re: Signal Booster for Dell 2300 wireless router

critterdoc,

One more thing, if you will. Please post the entire configuration of your network. Especially include how the satellite modem is connected. That way all the information will be in one post, which will greatly improve the chances that someone will be able to help resolve the problem.

The details are very important when working on resolving problems like yours.

Jim
0 Kudos
chrisocala
2 Bronze

Start with the 2300.

Open the Control Utility

Go to Advanced Settings, Click Login, use your login and password

Go to Advanced Settings, click yes on the little box that asks if you really want to go here cause you might screw everything up

Go to Advanced Wireless

Make sure that the box "enable wireless" is checked

Check the "Hide my wireless network" box if you don't want to broadcast your network name(a good security measure)

See that mode is "802.11b and 802.11g"

SSID make sure your network name is here

Auto

Channel (whatever you want mine is on 11)

Leave advanced options alone

Click the wireless bridge box

Where is says enter the MAC of the first Truemobile 2300  enter the MAC of the 602

then save the new settings.

On the 602 you have to turn off the router then hook the 602 directly to your laptop or desktop through the ethernet connection.  then you can access the setup menu for the 602 as in the instructions. If you need help just let me know.  I am hooked up to a cable modem dont know anything about sattelite stuff.  sorry. It really shouldn't matter how you access the internet. The sattelite modem should just hook to the router same as my cable modem.

0 Kudos
aronwarner11
2 Bronze

The topic you are explaining regarding wireless router is good. But if you don't even how to solve it then it's a little bit problem for you. Whenever you are trying to boost up the signal then you have to check the bandwidth of the router. If you need to Solve Netgear Router Password Issues then you also go through this.

0 Kudos
critterdoc83
2 Bronze

From your last message:

On the 602 you have to turn off THE ROUTER then hook the 602 direct to your laptop or desktop through the ETHERNET connection.....

Which router is turned off, the 2300?

What ethernet connection are you referring to., the one that feeds the 2300 from my modem, or directly out of the modem, a LAN port on the 2300????

My laptop is the one with the wireless card.  It recognizes the dell 2300 but has a poor signal 35 feet from the 2300.  The laptop recognizes the NETGEAR 602 but I can't get the 602 to talk to the 2300.  In other words, the laptop cannot access the internet through the 602 to the 2300 "bridge".

At the end of your last message you said to access the set up menu for the 602.  On the CD that came with it, I'm back to IP addresses, MAC addresses, do I need a password to access internet and on and on.  Is there a SIMPLE way to tell the 2300 to talk to the 602 and the 602 to talk to the 2300?

Do I need to put the 2300 MAC in the 602 somewhere?

Sorry, very lost.

I can get the 2300 to talk to the laptop-poor signal

I can get the 602 to talk to the laptop, excellent signal but can't access the internet through the 602.

critterdoc83

To address the note added to this discussion:

A satellite modem is very simple.

Bi-coaxial cable comes in from dish.  The cable is split at the modem into an "in" and "out" connection.  Power is supplied to the modem by AC adaptor and the modem has an ethernet port connected to the desktop or as it is now, to the 2300.

0 Kudos
chrisocala
2 Bronze

Did you get the MAC of the 602 into the 2300 under wireless bridging?

You have to set up the 602.

Go to netgear.com

In the upper right corner there is a dropdown titled Product Quick Find

go to WG602 and click it

under the picture of the 602 click the support link

Under WG602v2 Downloads, click the link under Firmware that says

Repeater Firmware v3.2 RC6

download that to your laptop

You can also download a Users Guide if you want you only need Chapters 3 and 5.

I assume you have XP on your laptop.

if so, click Start then My Network Places then click on the left under Network tasks "View Network Connections"

Right click the Local Area Connection then click Properties

Under the General tab in the middle under This connection uses the following items click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) then click Properties

Under the General tab you'll see bullets Obtain an IP address automatically which is probably clicked and one that says Use the Following IP Address

click the Use the following IP address and put in 192.168.0.210 Then click OK.

Now, connect the 602 to your laptop using the ethernet cable.  Turn off the 2300 router.

Now log in to the 602 using the instructions on page 3-7 of the user guide

You will get the Home page as shown on page 3-8

On the left under management you will see Upgrade Firmware click that and follow the instructions to upgrade the firmware that you downloaded above.

Once you get this done you will need to change the SSID on the 602 so that it matches the 2300. If you haven't changed the 2300 then use the default.

page 3-11 of the user guide will show you how.

Now go to page 5-1 and look at the example.

to get there, click Wireless Bridging under Advanced on the home page of the 602

go down to the 4th bullet "Repeater with Wireless Client Association" and click it then enter the MAC of the 2300 in the boxes.

That should do the trick. 

Now shut everything down and unhook the 602 from the laptop.

Restart the Modem 1st then restart the 2300 then restart the 602 when you boot up your laptop you should be in business.

Any problems just reply.

chrisocala

0 Kudos
critterdoc83
2 Bronze

I feel SOOOOOO stupid.

My Netgear router is a WGT 624vs 108Mbps NOT a 602.  All the stuff you've been so kind to write down and help me with doesn't seem to work for the 624.  I checked and there is no repeater firmware update for the 624.  I've contacted Netgear and asked them for help.

I feel very bad that I've wasted all your time on such an idiotic mistake.  Please forgive me.  If you have any ideas concerning the 624v2, I would be aprreciative but you've already spent enough time for me.

Thanks again and sorry.

0 Kudos
chrisocala
2 Bronze

I don't know if the 624 will work but the 602 works great. I would recommend it to anyone.  Just that no one at Dell or at Netgear could tell me how to do it.  The tricky thing is having to change your IP address to access the 602. It would be nice if you could access it wirelessly like you can the 2300.

Good luck

chrisocala

0 Kudos
critterdoc83
2 Bronze

Chrisocala!!

A week later, but...

Your instructions were fantastic, I got the 602 hooked right up, no problems.  I now have good coverage all over my house.  I appreciate your help.

I now have a Netgear WGT624 router I have no use for, it is brand new never been used because I couldn't configure it to be a repeater.  It was taken out of the box and I attempted to configure it but when I finally gave up, I reset everthing to default settings.  The new buyer should do the same.  I would make somebody a real deal on this thing.  It's a 108Mbps router, I have Cd, packaging, ethernet cable, book, etc.  If you know of anyone needing /or wanting it, I'll take $50 and I'll pay the shipping.  They list from $75-99 plus shipping.  critterdoc2@earthlink.net

Thanks again, it was really pretty easy once I had your good instructions to go by.

One last Q I promise, if I get another wireless laptop, it should pick right up on the 602, right?  Since the 2300 and 602 are talking, a new laptop should be able to join in the fun too.  I realize it might slow things down some, but it should work, right? 

0 Kudos
chrisocala
2 Bronze

I'm no network guru.  I learn by trying something or screwing something up and then having to fix it.  In theory I think you should be able to use as many laptops as you want.  Glad to hear that you got everything going well.  This was really the answer to my problem.

Chrisocala

0 Kudos