PizzlePazzle
1 Copper

SmartByte Networking/SmartByte Telemetry

So, I've read posts that say SmartByte causes multiple internet issues. At first, I thought it was just me... I never opted to have this program installed on my Inspirion 1500 Gaming series laptop, but yet here it is. Others have said that uninstalling/disabling this program fixes their issues, but when I attempted to perform these tasks it instantly caused my internet to not work. It says "Connected" and that internet is available, but no web-pages or other programs will work if they require internet.... Can anyone help out?

3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: SmartByte Networking/SmartByte Telemetry

@PizzlePazzle wrote:

So, I've read posts that say SmartByte causes multiple internet issues. At first, I thought it was just me... I never opted to have this program installed on my Inspirion 1500 Gaming series laptop, but yet here it is. Others have said that uninstalling/disabling this program fixes their issues, but when I attempted to perform these tasks it instantly caused my internet to not work. It says "Connected" and that internet is available, but no web-pages or other programs will work if they require internet.... Can anyone help out?

I don't know if this helps, but here is what I experienced. When I stopped the SmartByte service, I also ended up being connected, but unable to access any web site. I tried this a few times over several days with the same negative result. With my download speed deteriorating (it was down to 11 Mbps from a rock solid 50 Mbps) I decided to uninstall SmartByte before the machine became dysfunctional. I did so as an administrator. The uninstallation process flagged SmartByte telemetry as running. I opted to close all processes (I cannot remember the exact wording) and continue. The uninstallation took longer than I expected, as though there was a lot of rubbish and litter to clear up, but when it was done my machine was completely free of SmartByte and my download speed returned to normal.  As a precaution I also uninstalled SupportAssist, in case it was somehow implicated in installing SmartByte on my machine - guilt by association, if you like. I have not uninstalled Dell update, but I have ran it a few times to check it does not flag up SmartByte. 

Highlighted
googly55
1 Copper

JustPassingThrough, 

Many thanks indeed.

I experienced exactly the same symptoms as you and PizzlePazzle.

Your recommendation of uninstalling SmartByte worked perfectly for me.  

Highlighted
MichaelDigger
1 Copper

I had the same problems with multiple internet issues. Sometimes, I can't load even one simple website.

Thanks for help!