Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

June 12th, 2019 14:00

SmartByte Networking/SmartByte Telemetry

So, I've read posts that say SmartByte causes multiple internet issues. At first, I thought it was just me... I never opted to have this program installed on my Inspirion 1500 Gaming series laptop, but yet here it is. Others have said that uninstalling/disabling this program fixes their issues, but when I attempted to perform these tasks it instantly caused my internet to not work. It says "Connected" and that internet is available, but no web-pages or other programs will work if they require internet.... Can anyone help out?

June 17th, 2019 23:00

@PizzlePazzle wrote:

So, I've read posts that say SmartByte causes multiple internet issues. At first, I thought it was just me... I never opted to have this program installed on my Inspirion 1500 Gaming series laptop, but yet here it is. Others have said that uninstalling/disabling this program fixes their issues, but when I attempted to perform these tasks it instantly caused my internet to not work. It says "Connected" and that internet is available, but no web-pages or other programs will work if they require internet.... Can anyone help out?

I don't know if this helps, but here is what I experienced. When I stopped the SmartByte service, I also ended up being connected, but unable to access any web site. I tried this a few times over several days with the same negative result. With my download speed deteriorating (it was down to 11 Mbps from a rock solid 50 Mbps) I decided to uninstall SmartByte before the machine became dysfunctional. I did so as an administrator. The uninstallation process flagged SmartByte telemetry as running. I opted to close all processes (I cannot remember the exact wording) and continue. The uninstallation took longer than I expected, as though there was a lot of rubbish and litter to clear up, but when it was done my machine was completely free of SmartByte and my download speed returned to normal.  As a precaution I also uninstalled SupportAssist, in case it was somehow implicated in installing SmartByte on my machine - guilt by association, if you like. I have not uninstalled Dell update, but I have ran it a few times to check it does not flag up SmartByte. 

July 10th, 2019 12:00

I had the same problems with multiple internet issues. Sometimes, I can't load even one simple website.

Thanks for help!

1 Message

August 14th, 2019 02:00

JustPassingThrough, 

Many thanks indeed.

I experienced exactly the same symptoms as you and PizzlePazzle.

Your recommendation of uninstalling SmartByte worked perfectly for me.  

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 00:00

Is the SmartByte issue back? I started to have it with my Intel AC-3165. It limits the internet speed to 4-5 Mbps (from 30 Mbps available), exactly the same symptoms as multiple people describe here in multiple threads, but the problem on my side is that i don't have any SmartByte installed nor any SmartByte or Rivet service installed and i still have this issue. When I plug some D-Link USB Wifi card and deactivate the integrated Intel board, the internet speed is not limited anymore. I'm going crazy already by this issue. I was removing both wifi and bluetooth drivers andinstalling very old ones as well as the newest but nothing helps. Even uninstalled the Dell Support Assistant and any other Dell bloatware but no luck.

1 Message

December 27th, 2020 06:00

I have a new Inspiron 7506. I do not clearly recall network problems (maybe a slow speed test...), however didn't like the high IO usage I found in Task Manager for these processes and service. I understand these services are intended to improve the performance of video conferencing in the presence of concurrent downloads. (You would think a decent NDIS network driver would implement QoS, but I understand the networking hardware in these laptops may not be quite the most premium and may lack those features, and that this software may be trying to accommodate for that. But I trust third party software even less than I trust Microsoft, and would rather not run it if the benefits are not clear!)

One thing I can add to this conversation: If you choose not to uninstall (as I so far have done), but rather disable SmartBytes, there are two services, but also a task. Open Task Scheduler and scroll down to SmartByte Telemetry, right-click, select Disable.

I found that service had read about a terabyte off of my 512GB SSD, in a day or two! It was the highest user of reads, even beyond Steam, Mcafee, and msEdge processes (by almost two orders of magnitude!) I can't understand what it's doing, and don't think this service can possibly be worth all the IO. My main objection to SmartBytes is that it's just one more thing potentially looking at my activity (spying on me), which I would rather eliminate. 

No Events found!