Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Posts

June 21st, 2020 11:00

Smartbyte-like issue with slow wifi.

Is the SmartByte issue back? I started to have it with my Intel AC-3165. It limits the internet speed to 4-5 Mbps (from 30 Mbps available), exactly the same symptoms as multiple people describe here in multiple threads, but the problem on my side is that i don't have any SmartByte installed nor any SmartByte or Rivet service installed and i still have this issue. When I plug some D-Link USB Wifi card and deactivate the integrated Intel board, the internet speed is not limited anymore. I'm already going crazy by this issue. I have been removing both wifi and bluetooth drivers and installing very old ones as well as the newest but nothing helps. Even uninstalled the Dell Support Assistant and any other Dell bloatware but no luck. Can someone help me?

2 Posts

November 14th, 2020 13:00

Looks like Dell is not doing anything about this smartdbyte issue. I bought a new Dell Inspiron 5491 in July and in Aug I noticed sudden internet speed drop. Dell support suggested I remove smartbyte and presto the problem went away. But yesterday (Nov 14) same thing again. So this time I found the cultprit was back and uninstalled it and system is back to normal internet speed. Why does smartbyte find its way back?

The irony is I referred the old support ticket from Aug to Dell support for investigation. Received a donotreply message suggesting they are unable to refer back to old ticket and I should create a new support request. The support request would not create until I do a self-diagnostic utility. Guess what, the self-diagnostic routine in SupportAssist got stuck at network testing asking me to connect ethernet LAN cable and failed test. Inspiron 5491 does not have a LAN port!!!

No Events found!