Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

November 13th, 2015 08:00

Stuck in Airplane Mode No Nireless or WiFi

If You Are Locked Out Of WiFi, Go To Device Manager, Then Go To Human Interface Devices, Open Human Interface Devices, Select to (DISABLE Airplane mode switch collection) (NOT Airplane Mode Switch). it has worked on My 4 Dells, a Inspiron 17 7737, 2 Inspiron 15 7537 and a Inspiron 15 3521 all Running Windows 10.  Hope This Helps Since Everyone Thinks It Is A Physical Button/Switch Problem On The Keyboard Which It Is Not.

I Am Not An Expert, But It Worked For Me Until They Figure This Problem Out.

KsR

1.8K Posts

November 15th, 2015 16:00

Hi KsR,

Thanks for the info.  I'm bumping this up and adding a few tags so that others can find this information a bit easier if they're searching.

Thanks again,

Todd

1 Message

November 30th, 2015 23:00

WORKS!

1 Message

December 30th, 2015 05:00

That's a great answer - thanks for digging it out.  Once I'd disabled the airplane switch collection, I had a go at re-enabling it, and it behaved perfectly, letting me turn the mode on and off at will.

However...

The WiFi connection itself is now broken.  The WiFi indicator light doesn't come on, and the WiFi icon sits there in the bottom right corner complaining that it's not got a connection.  Windows diagnostics are no good, limply suggesting that I flick the hardware switch to turn the radio on.  I've tried all the diagnostics I can think of, and I've disabled/re-enabled the adaptor, upgraded the driver, done loads of reboots, and so on.

The only option that remains is to revert to Windows 7.  Before I do that, does anyone have any thoughts about what else to try ?

Cheers, Russell

1 Message

September 5th, 2016 05:00

How do I find device manager?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 6th, 2016 10:00

Right click the start button and select Device Manager.

1 Message

September 12th, 2016 09:00

My Dell Inspiron 1500 was locked in airplane mode, so I couldn't get to the internet. The fix was Fn PrtScr. It worked really fast. But it wasn't discovered until I'd been on the phone with Dell Concierge for almost 2 hours. 

Try Fn PrtScr before all the other difficult fixes.

1 Message

December 28th, 2017 21:00

Thank u . It is working on my laptop too...

March 12th, 2018 10:00

Disabling the airplane mode switch collection in device manager is only a band aide and does not fix the issue, to make sure it is fixed you need to do the following steps

1) make sure you have the latest BIOS version on your computer, if not then first flash the BIOS

2) reinstall the Wireless device driver

3) reinstall the airplane switch driver

4) reinstall the quickset driver

5) reinstall the chipset driver

6) reboot the computer one more time manually

once all this is done then you should be able to switch back and forth between wifi and airplane mode as intended

1 Message

May 1st, 2018 15:00

This worked for me on my Dell 7737 after calling Dell tech support twice, removing windows 10, updating all drivers and BIOS, reinstalling windows 8 and not having my laptop for about 2 months and having to clear all my data and software.... How frustrating, but glad I found this post. Finally I can use my computer, who cares if flight mode works or not..... Windows 10 update created this problem for me!

March 14th, 2020 09:00

I have got a trick to solve it. Check my channel Aku Vlogs there the video is uploaded.. It will help you 100%.

https://youtu.be/qlRoS84UDcs

Thank Me later if it worked. ☺️

1 Message

June 1st, 2020 04:00

The only thing what works!!! I have to do it at every network driver or windows installation.

Big thumb up! 

It is a bug in one of the Win10 updates and they did not solve for years now. Shame on you Microsoft... 

1 Message

December 31st, 2022 01:00

This maybe one of the ways but still I doubt if somebody works for an organisation where admin access is not there then in those situations two scenarios exists:

1. Does yr laptop has a switch for that airplane mode? If yes, then simply switch it off n on usually it is located near charging port or on the right side.

2. My case was i din had the switch as well no access to device manager so i had resolved it by doing just a Network Reset and your computer would be back to its before condition settings before it went wrong with the stuck airplane mode. Click the Network reset setting in whichever windows and your pc will do a automatic restart after 5 mins or few minutes once login the airplane mode button went from grey disabled color to original blue colored as expected. So, now I was able to turn off the airplane mode at will. 

No Events found!