Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2008 02:00

Studio 1535, Wireless 1397 and Linksys WRT54G

Hi All,

Because I was a good boy and because BestBuy was offering a good financing deal I decided to buy the Studio 1535 LT last sunday.

Basic specs:

• Dell Studio 1535
  • Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (64 Bit O/S)
  • 4.00 GB RAM
  • 320 GB HD
  • Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10ghz

Well work and play prevented me from doing much more than charging the batter until the last day or so.

Its pretty much an operationally awful laptop.  No were near as robust as my XPS M140.  But that's a different post.

The issue I have (And forgive me if I'm repeating any other posts but I havent' seen anything that seems to address my issue to date) is that the Laptop does not stay on the wireless network.  It will drop the connection after every few minutes.  Its really frustrating because I'm trying to do some basic windows and Norton updates...I haven't gotten beyond that part to install anything else...it really su er I mean its frustrating.

I have done the following to try to resolve this issue:

• Updated the F/W on the Linksys to V8.00.5 build 002, Jan. 9, 2008
  • Updated the BIOS on the laptop to A05
  • Changed the power management to "High Performance"  Last night I noticed that the problem persisted even though the laptop was plugged in.
  • Reloaded the Original O/S "As Shipped" Configuration 8 times so far, going on 9 tonight, just for yucks.

What I have noticed is that no matter what, the wireless reception is always good to excellent.  I am currently sitting about 10 feet from the A/P and get an excellent signal on both the old XPS and the 1535.

And the 1535 just dropped its connection again.

Now the network connection just came back, but no internet access.  It will stay like this until I perform a diagnosis on it, in which case Windows Vista will say it can't find anything wrong with the connection.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even if all you do is post a link to the solution in a reply.

21 Posts

August 18th, 2008 02:00

More information:

• I asked best buy about returning the LT (its that frustrating) and they said it would cost 15% restocking fee
  • I checked the internet and found that I might need to replace/upgrade the access point, so I did..it was cheaper than restocking fee so I got a Linksys WRT160N.
  • The new access point didn't make a difference other than upset the rest of the PC's because of different security.
  • I setup access point to use WPA and that didn't change anything on the connection problem.

So I chatted with Dell support and they said it was really BestBuy/Geek squad's responsibility to support the laptop...I'm sure I heard that wrong.  Anyway Dell support said its probably a network card issue.

So I will take it in tomorow and have it looked at...Geek Squad said to "just bring it in"...

Will keep you posted, but if there is any one having the same issue, any advice would be great!

Thx

26 Posts

August 19th, 2008 03:00

You have several options to check with Vista and your laptop. You are N-wireless capable I think, but it is still in draft phase and you will likely have a more stable connection with the G-wireless frequency because that is what your wireless router is capable of supporting unless it's more than 10 years old, in which case you should get a new one, they're cheap. There are these things called protocols set up by windows so that there are rules to connecting wirelessly. You can access these protocols by going into the Device Manager and finding the Wireless adapter under your network adapters. You right click on it and go to properties and the little screen with the checkmarks has the protocols I am talking about. Most routers are ok with it, but some can't deal with the IPv6 (new to windows with vista) protocol. Also if you have the TrendMicro Common firewall, I would uncheck that as well unless you are familiar with configuring it. Those two are good ways to improve communication with your vista system and your wireless router. Try using no security password to test and go from there.

P.S. If it doesn't work with a password but will work without one, that is not a hardware issue.

21 Posts

August 21st, 2008 19:00

Thanks for the response.

However, what I found out eventually is that there might have been something wrong with the wireless network card.

I went to BB and after being told by GeekSquad that they wanted to keep the PC for 3 days to test it I went to the next counter and exchanged the laptop.

Since then I have not had a single issue with it.

But I had to pull the "I'm not satisfied with the computer" and "I'm an IT Manager so I've done alot of the diagnosis already" cards because the geek squad couldn't find anything wrong, said I should adjust the power management (which I did) and update the drivers (which I did) and they also didn't have the time to sit there and let it fail.

Lesson learned...if buying a dell, buy directly from dell. 

No Events found!