Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2010 06:00

Studio 1558 randomly drops wireless connection

I have an 7 month old Studio 1558 with Windows 7.  It worked on our home wireless network without problem for about 3 months, but then started to randomly drop the connection, or would not connect on start up.

Windows reports that the network is available and at full strength, but when asked to connect, can not.  When running the Windows troubleshooter it reports that it is unable to fix the problem.

The connection is randomly regained, sometimes by running the Windows trouble shooter a number of times, sometimes by rebooting, and sometimes by just leaving it for say 10 - 20 minutes.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 29th, 2010 13:00

Duke 998,

Did you ever update the firmware in the wireless router?

What settings are you using in your wireless router? I use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. If using Auto channels, it can cause probelms.

Also try these tweaks.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

2 Posts

November 30th, 2010 13:00

Rick

Thanks for the pointers.  I've turned off the power saving settings as advised.  Have updated firmware on router.

The network does seem to be more stable now.  Thanks again.

Peter

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 30th, 2010 14:00

Peter,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Wireless routers sit in warehouses for a period of time and get out dated. Usually updating the firmware is a big help.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!