Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2014 02:00

Studio XPS 1645 Wireless Problem

Good morning!

My problem is getting a bit annoying already. I have tried every possible ways to solve it, maybe you can help me. 

I have a Dell Studio XPS 1645 laptop, which contains Dell 1397 wlan mini-card, manufactured by Broadcom. It has some problems with connecting networks. Either it is not connecting at all, or it is, but very slow. I mean, i have 30mbps internet here, which i can use with cable, but with wireless it can reach only 20mbps. I have tried many other networks, all the same problems. I have Windows 7 64bit os.

I tried every possible drivers, i hope, you can find me the right one. 

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2014 11:00

gretzky999,

That can vary with how many antenna wires your system has and you home network.

I have used the Intel 5100 and had good results. The Intel 5300 should also have good results. Both work on 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz

If you don't like the Intel adapters, the Dell Wireless 1520 (11agn) WLAN Half-Height mini-Card works on 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz.

The Dell Wireless 1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card works on 2.4GHz ONLY but uses dual streams, giving the wireless N speeds.

Some adapters use 2 wires and some use 3 wires. It also depends on your operating system because of locating drivers and some adapters are do not have drivers for some operating systems.

Rick

2 Posts

September 12th, 2014 07:00

Replace the 1397 with an Intel 5100. You can find them on eBay for about $10. Works great. Getting much, much better speed.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2014 10:00

gretzky999,

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under Network, download and install the latest drivers.

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your network adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Click on Advanced. Look for Antenna Diversity. Change Antenna Diversity from Auto to Aux.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

4 Posts

Can i change it for a stronger device? If yes, would you suggest me possible types? Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

gretzky999,

That should help with connecting with the other networks. Since this is an older adapter, I'm not sure you'll see the faster speeds. This adapter connects on 2.4GHz and has only a single stream, so there will be a limit on it's streaming speeds.

If this system is under warranty, Contact Dell Technical Support and see if they have any suggestions. They may want to remote in and maybe they have a tweak that I do not know of.

Rick

4 Posts

Thank you for the answer, but the problem is still not solved. Still don't reach 30mbps speed on wireless network. 

4 Posts

October 17th, 2014 03:00

Thank you guys. The Intel 5100 solved the problem, it works great. 

Thanks again

No Events found!