Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

June 5th, 2004 15:00

TCP/IP CP reported error 733

I set up 2 computers to allow virtual private networking.  When trying to connect the two computers I am getting the message TCP/IP CP reported error 733.  I have both computers firewalled and connected to the internet all the time with the same IP address.  Is there a setting that may be off or I set up wrong that might be keeping them from connecting.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Message Edited by path1467 on 06-05-2004 11:57 AM

June 6th, 2004 15:00

How exactly do you have your computers setup - are your using a wireless router, switch/hub to share the internet connection ?

Having the Same IP addess is not a good idea - as you will see conflict Ip messages and also have interrupted sessions - as the wrong host resolves its MAC address to the SAME Ip address.....not a good idea. I would recommend increment one of the PC's host IP address by one, i.e 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2....as pure examples

To your specific error message - check out following URL.
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article – 168720
ERROR Message TCP/IP CP Server the on Available Not Is Protocol Network This for Control PPP 733: Error Reported :

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;168720>

46 Posts

June 6th, 2004 19:00

I have 2 computers set up 4 hours apart.  Both are on cable modems connected all the time.  I thought I was setting it up right with both systems set up with incoming connections and each was setup to connect to the other one with outgoing connection.  I set up each one to accept virtual private netoworking.  I also set up a login and password for each computer so I would be able to log in.  I have them both firewalled (not sure if that was the problem)  But when I went to connect them I was unable and recieved the error.  I had the right IP address also for both systems.  I would love to find a step by step or even write one after I figure this out.  Not sure how many VPN's are out there in use.  Would love any comments.  Thanks.

4.4K Posts

June 6th, 2004 19:00

The only commercial VPN server I've set up is Checkpoint. It needs UDP/500 (ISAKMP) and IP/50 (ESP) let in and out. I don't know whether the XP firewall deals with any IP packet types other than TCP and UDP, though.

Jim

June 6th, 2004 21:00

Okay now I see that you're trying to create an IPSEC tunnel through the Internet between two separate sites - this was not clear before. The fact that you mentioned the IP addresses are the same - means you must be running in NAT (network address translated mode).

How have you setup your filter lists and IPSEC policies - as these need to match exactly if a peer-peer IPSEC session is to be established and correct negotiation of SA (Secuirty Associations) achieved ?

What IPSEC mode are you using  (Tunnel orTransport) ?

Since you are trying to achieve an end-end IPSEC session, then you should be in Transport mode, as no intervening router is being used to encrypt/decrypt the traffic.........unless you have configured a router to do this for you ?

Note : Also be aware that an IPSEC frame adds 40 bytes to the size of a L2 frame - so a maximum sized ethernet frame would become 1540 bytes........which is invalid - therefore when using VPN/IPSEC tunnels you should tune your maximum MTU to 1400 bytes.

46 Posts

June 6th, 2004 23:00

Each IP address for the two computers is different.  That is not a conflict.  I have them both set up the same but I will look at the IPSEC situation and see how it is configured.  On the netork connections for both of the computers I set them up to allow incoming connections with both VPN settings and I am going to add the IP security one in the properties.  It must be something with the way I have the settings setup.  I have another computer closer to one of them and I am going to try and connect that way before heading up the other one.
No Events found!