Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2011 17:00

There's some kind of problem with my network adapter.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 (running Vista) with a Wireless 1515 adapter. The wireless internet was working completely fine until we got a new modem and now it completely refuses to connect to wireless even though all the other computers in the house do. When I click the 'diagnose and repair' option on the network icon it says that there's a problem with my network adapter though when I bring up 'device manager' it says that my adapter is just fine. When I try to connect to my wireless network windows says that my 'wireless authentication failed because of a timeout'. My wireless is definitely turned on (I've checked several times) and nothing I can find on the internet can help. Please, can you help me?

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

June 28th, 2011 18:00

You didn't just get a modem. It's mostly a DSL or cable modem PLUS router.

You should try shutting down the laptop and the new modem+router. Then turn on just the modem + router. Wait a minute or so. Then turn on your laptop.

June 28th, 2011 19:00

I am aware of what I've got. I've tried that already and it didn't work.

4 Posts

August 22nd, 2011 12:00

I have 2002 Latitude c 840 laptop that connects wirelessly only to very few modems, but not to most (like McDonalds, the Public Library, and even my own at home) After wasting countless hours trying to fix it unsuccessfully, finally I got an external Wi-Fi Smart Card and plugged it into the side slot of the laptop, and Thanks to the Good Lord! now it connects to all Wi-Fi outlets. These cards are readily available at all computer accesories stores. I have no idea what the real cause for the problem is, but for an old computer like mine, this solution seems like the cheapest one, at least as far as I know. Hope it will help you too. I wish someone had told me this solution before spending so many hours trying to find a solution.  

5 Posts

August 23rd, 2011 01:00

No Events found!