Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2010 10:00

Trouble connecting to Internet with ethernet cable

I am trying to hook my Dell Inspiron 1525 up to the internet with a ethernet cable however it says that it will not connect to the internet. I can connect to the internet no problem wireless and I can plug another computer into the same ethernet cable that I am trying to connect to and it works on that computer. When I hook the ethernet cable up the lights on the ethernet port on the side of the computer light up and it says that it has connected to a Unidentified Network but will not connect to the internet when I go to Internet Explorer. Thanks for the help!

5 Posts

June 12th, 2010 23:00

I have similar problem with my friends Studio 1555 labtop. A known good ethernet connection will not work in her machine.

I don't see any lights on the switch or the laptop indicating ethernet comms.

I have tried updating network adapter driver but it says that the driver installed is more recent than the driver I'm trying to install (which I just downloaded from dell) hmmmmmm.

I have tried to unintall and reinstall the network adapter. I am stuck.

I too have wireless connectivity.

• 

16.7K Posts

June 14th, 2010 13:00

jd_power,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You can try checking the issue below and make changes if needed. You may also want to make sure you are connecting to the wired network and that if a network password is needed input the password.

• A setting in QuickSet disables the integrated NIC when the portable is running on battery power. To re-enable the NIC, go into the Internal Network Card Power Management section in QuickSet.

5 Posts

June 14th, 2010 13:00

Thanks Jesse,

No password is needed, I can and have plugged other machines onto the same network with the same wire with no problem.

Now that you mention it... I did find somewhere an option that I think did something similar (shut down the network adapter for power consumption

reasons) and I disabled that, or unchecked it.

For the life of me I can't find it now. Course I am trying to do this in between other jobs and errands so I am not exactly taking

my time. Anyway, I tried to find QuickSet. It does not seem to be on this computer. I tried searching from the start tab as well as help and support. 

Neither one found a match. I looked manually in the programs menu, I searched google and found that it should be on the toolbar, but it's not.

The machine is a Dell Studio 1555, running Vista Home Premium (64 bit) SP2. I know enough to be dangerous, but have never used or worked on

a Dell. Is it possible that the QuickSet program is hiding or got deleted after shutting down the NIC? I would think uninstalling the network adapter and reinstalling it would 

probably have solved this, no? 

Dummy question - is the NIC the same thing as the Network Adapter?

Thanks for your help.

Robin C.

3 Posts

June 24th, 2010 20:00

Jesse,

The only thing that I have on my Quickset is Networking and all the comes up under networking is Wi-Fi catcher ther is nothing about the Internal Network Card. Am I not looking in the correct spot. I am also having trouble with "plugged in, not charging" on my computer I don't know if they could be related somehow. Thanks

No Events found!