Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

June 9th, 2007 11:00

Trouble with Winsock provider catalog

Hi,

I connect to the internet via a wireless connection. My ISP has givcen me a static IP address. Every few hours I lose the internet and when I use the diagnosis tool provided vy Internet Explorer 7 I get the following message:

Windows has detected a problem with the Winsock provider catalog on this computer. This catalog allows programs to communicate with this computer across the computer. Would you like to reset the catalog to the default configuration?

When I click Yes and restart the computer it works fine. But this is happening every few hours.

Can someone help me?
Thanks!

4.4K Posts

June 9th, 2007 15:00

google winsockxp fix

1 Rookie

• 

39 Posts

June 11th, 2007 02:00

Hi Boppo,

I ran the tool but it did not help much. Every few hours it still loses the connection and I have to run the tool again and again. Can you please help me?

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

39 Posts

June 12th, 2007 13:00

Anybody?

82 Posts

June 13th, 2007 11:00

random_blossom wrote:
Hi Boppo,

I ran the tool but it did not help much. Every few hours it still loses the connection and I have to run the tool again and again. Can you please help me?

Thanks!

Random_blossom..
what website did you use?
go to that and see if it is the same one that you already tried, if not, then run if. if it is, let me know.

1 Rookie

• 

39 Posts

June 13th, 2007 12:00

Yes it is exactly the same. I got mine from:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

I downloaded it from spychecker too and it is the same.

--R.B.

82 Posts

June 13th, 2007 17:00

try this RB.

Go to your router configuration page on the internet.. usually the URL is 192.168.1.1   
leave the user name blank and for the password type in "admin"
At the tabs at the top, go to wireless.
On that page change your channel. Recommended channels are 1 or 11.. if one of those channels is what you are on when the problem is happening, then change it to the other one (example: the problem is happening and your on channel 1, then change to 11.. and vise-versa.
Hope this helps. Let us know.

82 Posts

June 14th, 2007 10:00

RB, thought  of something else too..

go to command prompt (start->run  type in cmd (enter))

in the command line, type in: ftp localhost

the response you want back is:

"ftp: connect  :Unknown error number

if you get that, you are good with the winsock, if you get something else, post the response back.

(p.s. to get out of Command Prompt, type "quit" nex to ftp>   if you dont type quit, and just "x" out of Command Promp, then it will freeze and End Program will come up and you will have to do a force quit.)

Message Edited by hvfd13 on 06-14-2007 02:20 PM

1 Rookie

• 

39 Posts

June 16th, 2007 00:00

Hi there,

I tried changing the channel to #2 (I couldn't remember whether it was 1 or 11 earlier) and I still get the same problem.

I also tried ftp localhost when it is working as well as when it stops working and at both times I get the error you mentioned i.e. connect: unknown error number.

What should I do?

Thanks!

82 Posts

June 16th, 2007 15:00

try this site.. it should help you.

1 Rookie

• 

39 Posts

June 16th, 2007 16:00

That is the same site from which i downloaded the tool....there is nothing new there!???
No Events found!