Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2013 19:00

Unable to Connect To Internet

My daughter has an Dell Inspiron 17R laptop and she not able to connect to the internet wirelessly.  I have reset the router with no luck.  I need to know where to go on the laptop to check the setting etc to make sure they are okay.  I have not done this before so any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 

3.3K Posts

August 18th, 2013 21:00

Hi jmingo,
After the reset, you need to configure wireless connection. To configure, click on the Wireless    icon in the system tray. Click your respective network name. Click Connect. Enter the Security Key and click ok.

If in case you have already performed the above steps, let me know the error message you are getting while trying to connect wirelessly.  

9 Posts

August 19th, 2013 08:00

Hi Sujatha K.

I did as you suggested and it did not work.  It only states that it could not connect to the network. the signal strength is good, it just can't connect.  She had been experiencing intermittent connection problems before but now it will not connect at all.  Is there something else you can suggest.

Thanks

• 

3.3K Posts

August 20th, 2013 02:00

Hi jmingo,

I recommend you to update the wireless driver. Click on the link below, enter the system service tag and click Submit. Select the Operating system from the drop down list to get drivers for your system model:
http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Next perform the steps given below:

1.     Open ‘Device Manager’ by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type ‘Device Manager’, and then, in the list of results, click ‘Device Manager’.
2.     When the device manager pops up, in the list please check for ‘Network adapter’.
3.     Please click on the arrow mark beside ‘Network adapter’.
4.     You will find the wireless network card available on your computer.
5.    Right click on Wireless card and select ‘Properties’.

1. Next click on ‘Advanced tab’.
  2. Change Roaming Aggressiveness to Medium.
  3. Change the wireless channels in the ‘advanced card properties’ to 11 or 6 and Disable Bluetooth Collaboration.

Reply with the status.

9 Posts

August 23rd, 2013 09:00

Hi Sujatha K.,

Sorry for the long delay.  I was on travel for a few days.  Last night I tried what you suggested.  The Roaming Aggressiveness was already set to Medium and I was not able to find #3(advanced card properties).  I downloaded an update to a wireless driver.  I think it was the right one.  It is still not working.   Also, I ran I think what was a diagnositc test which checked to see if the radio was turned on or off and other things and when it got to Associated, it failed because it said it was not associated.  I am not sure what that means.   When checking to see if the wireless card was working properly it stated it was. So again I have no idea where to go from here.  Thanks for trying to help.

9 Posts

August 23rd, 2013 19:00

Hi Sujatha K,

It is now telling me it I can't connect because the wireless network adapter has been removed.  Reinsert the network adapter.  How do I do that?

Thanks

John

• 

3.3K Posts

August 26th, 2013 04:00

Hi John,

Please provide the screen shot of the Device Manager with the Net Adapter option expanded to assist you further.

9 Posts

August 26th, 2013 06:00

Hi Sujatha K.

How do I take the screen shot?

• 

3.3K Posts

August 27th, 2013 23:00

Hi John,

Please go to Device Manager Window and expand Network Adapters. Next press the ‘PrtSCn’ on the keyboard. Open Paint and press Ctrl + V to paste. This will paste the device manager window in Paint. Save this picture as a JPEG file on to your system.

To attach this picture in the post, click on Insert/Edit Media. In the pop up window click ‘Browse’ and attach the picture by navigating to where the picture is saved.

Note: I recommend you to save the picture in Jpeg file format.
Let me know if this helps.

9 Posts

August 28th, 2013 19:00

Hi Sujatha K.,

I can't get the screen shot size to 64kb so I can not attach it.  Can you tell me how to do that?

Thanks

John

• 

3.3K Posts

August 29th, 2013 03:00

Hi John,

Before loading the file select the Dimension 300 * 300 and the picture should be a JPEG file.

August 30th, 2013 04:00

Check the wireless connection in Safe mode with networking (restart the computer and tapping F8 on dell logo. Select Safemode with networking).If issue persists in Safe mode with networking, try updating the update the wireless router's firmware to the latest available.

Update wireless drivers:

http://dell.to/Y2FbBZ

For more information, I have provided a link below which can fix the issue:

http://dell.to/K96578

Below mentioned link would also help you with the settings for wireless internet:

http://dell.to/ZKyq8W

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

9 Posts

August 30th, 2013 18:00

Hi Sujatha K.

The picture is a JPEG, size is 168kb, I type in 300 x 300 for the dimension and it still says it is too big.  It can not be bigger than 64.  Anything else you can tell me to do?

Thanks

John

9 Posts

August 30th, 2013 18:00

Hi James,

To the best of my knowledge the drivers are up to date and I have 3 other laptops that no problem connecting.  I am trying to get the screen shot to Shujata K. but I cannot get it down to the 64kb that is required even by making the dimensions 300 x 300.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks

John

• 

3.3K Posts

September 1st, 2013 04:00

Hi John,

I have sent a private message with my email address. Please send the picture to my email address. Or you may also check the status of wireless card in the device manager and reply. Let me know if there is any red or yellow mark next to it.

9 Posts

September 1st, 2013 17:00

Hi Sujatha K.,

I am sorry but I can not find your private message with your email address.  Where do I look?

Thanks

John

No Events found!