Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 9th, 2018 08:00

Unable to connect to other wireless connections after sleep.

I had a new problem crop up on my Dell Precision 5510 laptop a couple months ago.  I cannot identify anything that changed around the time the problem started but currently, anytime my laptop goes to sleep, when it comes back from sleep, it is not able to connect to any other/new wireless networks. 

What I mean is that it will connect to the network it was on before sleep but no other networks.  I put my laptop to sleep (and have for 2 years now) when I move from my home office to my work office and now when I wake up at the new location, I get the dreaded "Not Connected - Connections Available" notice on my WiFi.  However, I am not able to connect to any wireless networks till I restart the laptop and then it connects fine till it sleeps again.

I could not find similar posts that just started all of the sudden and that tied to sleep mode.  I connect fine anytime I boot up fresh or restart no matter what network I am at/on at the time but when I sleep and move networks, the WiFi seems to be lobotomized.

Running:

Windows 10 Pro

Vipre InternetSecurity 2016 with latest updates

Latest Dell WiFi, Bluetooth, and Gig-E drivers installed

I have my battery power saver set to "Maximum Performance" on battery and on plug for my WiFi adapter so it never sleeps just in case that was a problem.  Also, when the problem started, I had not made any manual changes to my system software or hardware.

I have tried to ipconfig /release ... /renew and have tried disabling and reenabling the wireless device but nothing seems to clear the problem till I restart the laptop and then everything is fine till I sleep again.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or feedback,

Phil

• 

16.7K Posts

August 9th, 2018 09:00

Philnye,

Try the steps below to resolve the issue.

1. Open Settings from the Start Menu and select Network & Internet.
  2. Click Wi-Fi on the left pane and select Change adapter options.
  3. Right-click on your Wireless Network Adapter and select Properties.
  4. Under Networking tab, select Configure.
  5. Click on Power Management tab and check/uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power box, then click OK.

Fix: Wi-Fi Is Not Connecting After Sleep Mode In Windows 10

Fix network connection issues in Windows

3 Posts

August 9th, 2018 09:00

Thanks Jessie,

I'll give this a try and report back. 

Phil

3 Posts

August 10th, 2018 10:00

Thank you again Jessie, I'm accepting the solution as a possible fix as I was able to connect to both my home and work networks without physically going through a restart on my laptop now.  I find it odd that prior to this change, after a sleep and wake-up event, my WiFi icon would still show up in my system tray as if nothing was wrong but if you moused over the icon, it would state "Not connected - connections available".  Though no red "X" ever showed up and if you clicked on the WiFi icon, the list of WiFi SSIDs would never show up. 

Now, after preventing my computer from turning off the network WiFi card, I have noticed a different problem.  I can connect between networks just fine but when I put the computer to sleep manually, the power LED stays on for 5-10 minutes before finally going off where it used to only be on for a few seconds.  I'm wondering if something is waiting for a time out before the power LED finally goes out.  I also noticed that in the 2 tests I ran when going between work and home today and both times selecting "Sleep" for the laptop, all my open programs (Outlook, PowerPoint, and a File Explorer window) were all closed when I fired the computer up again almost as if the computer shut down instead of sleep.  I'm still diagnosing this new issue but for now, my connecting to networks has been resolved.

Thank you again,

Phil

2 Posts

November 4th, 2019 14:00

My device is Dell XPS. I have followed your steps except the fifth step. I have reached the configure in step four. but there I can't find Power Management tab. How could I do, sir/madam?

2 Posts

November 4th, 2019 15:00

My device is Dell XPS. I have followed the steps except the fifth one. I have reached the configure but I cannot find a power management tab. What could I do?

February 16th, 2020 20:00

Looks promising...  If this works I'm going to wonder why this isn't the default...

June 13th, 2020 09:00

Hello

I'm having the same issue but do not have access to the Power Management tab. Is this something that has been moved in recent versions of Windows 10? How might I get access to this setting otherwise?

Thanks in advance!

1 Message

November 7th, 2020 11:00

Updated driver, Windows and changed wireless power management, still doesn't work on waking up.

2 Posts

December 4th, 2020 22:00

Same problem here. Tried the uncheck box method (box wasnt cheked), tried updating drivers, and now have replaced the wifi card. Hope Dell finally gets a fix that works for all of us

• 

25K Posts

December 31st, 2020 07:00

Hello, I’m your Dell virtual assistant. In case you have a question about your Dell system or need technical assistance, may I have the Service Tag or Express Service Code or order number, please? I’ll validate your system warranty and get back to you with the available options.

How to find the Service Tag: https://dell.to/38TPDrb

1 Message

December 31st, 2020 07:00

How do I change the Power Management option when it isn't available to me in my Network Adapter properties?  I lose all my network connections when my laptop wakes up - network drive, network printer etc.  Very frustrating.  I have a Dell Inspiron 14 5000 2 in 1.

1 Message

April 18th, 2021 07:00

I've got the same issue - I've had my Precision 7750 for about six weeks, and I've noticed that this problem particularly happens when my laptop goes to sleep in VPN mode (ExpressVPN); when it wakes, the wifi icon in the system tray has the disconnected sign (circle with a cross). 

Trying to reconnect doesn't work, trying to reconnect to the VPN doesn't work, ipconfig /release and /renew don't work, and the only thing in the end which does work is a laptop reboot, which I really don't like having to do. 

Like others in this thread, there's no option in Network Adapter settings for Performance Management, so how would you advise resolving this? 

Many thanks in advance!

1 Message

December 30th, 2021 05:00

I started to have this problem on my Precision 7540  after I installed some updates a few weeks ago. Hope this modification will work. Thank you. 

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2022 03:00

I had this issue and was able to enable power management tab using description from this post

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/h0r56s/getting_back_s3_sleep_and_disabling_modern/

Add PlatformAoAcOverride (0) to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power; same place as the old CsEnabled key.

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0

Or to remove:  

reg delete  "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power" /v PlatformAoAcOverride

No Events found!