Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2009 14:00

Unwanted Pop-ups in Dell Explorer when I'm on Firefox!

Greetings!  I am so steamed.  I consistently go to Firefox as my web browser.  About two days ago I went to Internet Explorer (PROVIDED BY DELL)  to see if it was connecting, because my Firefox wasn't.  IE gave me a small Windows repair box to check the program and then get a good IP address or whatever.   It worked.  I have also been getting messages that say I need to have a place to put  a "y file" or something.  Those have gone away. 

TODAY I HAVE STARTED GETTING POPS UP GENERATED BY "IE PROVIDED BY DELL" THAT ARE INANE "WORK AT HOME"  OR " FINDING SINGLES" ADS.  I WOULD HAPPILY UNINSTALL IE BUT IT IS NOT IN MY PROGRAM LIST!!!  HOW RUDE IS THAT???  IS THERE ANOTHER WAY I CAN DISABLE INTERNET EXPLORER IN THIS INSPIRON E1505 WITH VISTA?  OR DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE A SUGGESTION?

THANKS,

UNCA ROB

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 25th, 2009 14:00

Unca Rob,

I'm thinking somewhere in the line that your computer has some type of malware. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, update it and do a quick scan. Have it remove anything it finds. Please report back any findings.

Rick

4 Posts

October 25th, 2009 18:00

Thanks Rick .  After I posted I did a McAfee scan which isolated and quarantined 1 item.  During the scan one of the little Windows "solution" boxes came up saying there was a problem with a program named roughly "Cyberserve Power Screen."  I clicked on close the program, the scan completed, and the pop-ups have disappeared, at least for now.  

I am going to keep and use your info on Malwarebytes though! 

Thanks again, Unca Rob

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 25th, 2009 21:00

Unca Rob,

I run Malwarebytes weekly and make sure nothing gets on the computer. It never hurts to scan for malware.

Rick

4 Posts

October 26th, 2009 06:00

Well Rick, I ran the Malwarebytes download, 3.86 mb and a few minutes.  The last bit looked like a scan of about 1 minute.  No icon, no dialogue boxes.  Is it a one shot download?  You download each time you want to use it? Is that how it's supposed to work?

It's moot anyway.  I got IE based ads on my screen shortly after the download.  And I have them this morning. So the problem is unresolved.   Two things:

1.  I want, as an American citizen, the choice to disable IE in my computer.  If I can't get that, what is going on?  Can someone help me with that?

THE CRUX HERE IS, I DO NOT CHOOSE TO USE IE FOR SECURITY REASONS!  AND NOW MY SECURITY IS BREACHED, THROUGH IE, EVEN THOUGH I AM NOT USING IT!!  I WANT IT OUT OF MY MACHINE!

2. If I can't make this happen or block these popups, I am going to get a Mac and let a lot of people know about this. 

Rob

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 26th, 2009 09:00

Rob,

Try downloading it from HERE.

Rick

4 Posts

October 27th, 2009 07:00

Did that Rick, same site, same download, didn't take as long cause it was in already, same few seconds in the window reading "scan".  More pop-ups.  I went to an article on disabling IE and did that.  But lo and behold, after going to the malwarebytes site you suggested,  I have ads coming up in Mozilla.  Hmmm, interesting Rick.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 27th, 2009 08:00

Unca Rob,

Unusual that you cannot download and run Malwarebytes. I suggest you go to DELL Malware Removal Forum read the top post by bugbatter and follow the instructions there. They will be able to get rid of the infection(s) and get the computer back to normal.

Rick

No Events found!