Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2013 11:00

Upgrading a wireless network card

Hi

I have a two year old Dell, an XPS Q740 (from the system info) Intel i7 CPU. Works fine but I've recently upgraded my router to an N standard with dual channels operating at 2.4ghz and 5ghz, so I'd like to improve the the network options for my machine.

Looking at the device manager, it says I'm using an Intel wifi link BGN 1000 which operates at 2.4ghz.

Can anyone suggest what card if any I can install to bring about a speed improvement. Fibre broadband is also due in my area soon so I want to take advantage of this :emotion-1:

Thanks

17 Posts

March 1st, 2013 11:00

Thanks, that is a great help, very useful. Only one small question, will it work with Windows 8? A previous link you gave listed several network cards, only some of them certified for Windows 8

1.8K Posts

February 28th, 2013 13:00

Hi xandarian,

The Intel  WiFi Link 1000 is an IEEE 802.11b/g/Draft-N1 wireless network adapter that operates in the 2.4 GHz spectrum. This adapter is available in both PCIe Mini Card and Half Mini Card form factors. In order to check the correct wireless cards for your computer, you may provide me the system model. 

If the computer was shipped with Half mini card, you may check and compare the lists of dual band wireless cards from the link:  http://intel.ly/YGWSH0

Hope this helps. 

17 Posts

February 28th, 2013 15:00

It's a Dell XPS15 (L501X)  if that is any help. I have checked the user guide, device manager and run driver manager to get as much info as possible to help identify my upgrade options

1.8K Posts

March 1st, 2013 10:00

Hi xandarian,

Thank you for the information. 

The WLAN Mini-Card slot on the Dell XPS L501X system is located on the bottom of the system underneath the access panel. Only WLAN Mini-Cards work in this slot. Three wires can be connected to the card, all of which may not be used. The black and white wires are used on most WLAN cards, while the gray wire is only be used on certain N or draft-n cards. Dell has tested following WLAN cards with the XPS L501X:

• Intel WiFi Link 6200 Wireless-N Mini-Card (Dual band)
  • Intel WiFi Link 6300 Wireless-N Mini-Card (Dual band)
  • Intel WiFi Link 1000 Wireless-N Mini-Card (Single band)
  • Intel WiFi/WiMAX Link 6250 Mini-Card 

For installation of wireless card on your computer, you may refer to service manual of system from link: 

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_xps_laptop/xps-15_service%20manual_en-us.pdf 

Copy and paste the above link in address bar and hit enter. Please ensure to follow safety instructions mentioned in manual. 

Please reply in case you have any further questions. I'll be glad to assist. 

1.8K Posts

March 1st, 2013 15:00

Hi xandarian, 

Drivers for Intel 6235 card (For Windows 8) are available on support website but for different systems, that might work. However, while research I found the Windows 8 driver: http://intel.ly/YHGZQw  

This driver is applicable for the following cards:  

• Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235
  • Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
  • Intel Centrino Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150
  • Intel Centrino Wireless-N 100
  • Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000
  • Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030
  • Intel Centrino Wireless-N 105
  • Intel Centrino Wireless-N 130
  • Intel Centrino Wireless-N 135
  • Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200
  • Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230
  • Intel WiFi Link 1000
  • Intel WiFi Link 5300 and Intel WiFi Link 5100 products

Hope this information helps.

17 Posts

March 2nd, 2013 10:00

Thanks for the advice and info

17 Posts

March 2nd, 2013 11:00

Have bought the Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300

1.8K Posts

March 3rd, 2013 23:00

Hi xandarian, 

In one of my earlier posts, I have shared the link for service manual of your computer. It provides step by step instructions for installation of various internal components. You may find it handy. Please ensure to follow the safety instructions as mentioned in manual. 

Please reply in case you have any further questions. 

17 Posts

March 4th, 2013 12:00

I will download and read the the relevant section of the service manual. One question I do have is this; is my laptop fitted with a mini or half mini network card? The reason I ask is that I want to have everything ready before I start, and I will buy a bracket beforehand if it is required. Thanks

17 Posts

March 4th, 2013 13:00

Sorry, I've just looked and the download link for the manual seems to have disappeared. Can you give me the link again please?

17 Posts

March 5th, 2013 10:00

Harish on Dell support says: Unfortunately XPS 501X is not supported by Dell for Windows 8 upgrade. Please find the link below for the list of systems supported.

Will this affect the installation of my new network card?

1.8K Posts

March 5th, 2013 22:00

Hi xandarian, 

Dell has not tested XPS L501X with Windows 8. For more information on this, you can refer to link: http://dell.to/U7cW0Q 

I found a driver for Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300: http://dell.to/13EvKy2  compatible with Windows 7. You may try installing the driver for wireless card in compatibilty mode (for windows 7) and see if it works. To know more about compatibilty mode, you can refer to link: http://bit.ly/WcIF2t This might work. 

If this driver does not work, you may try to download and install Windows 8 driver for Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 card from Intel website: http://intel.ly/YHGZQw  and see if it works. 

For installation of wireless card on your computer, you may refer to service manual of system from link: 

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_xps_laptop/xps-15_service%20manual_en-us.pdf 

Copy and paste the above link in address bar and hit enter. Please ensure to follow safety instructions mentioned in manual. 

Please reply in case you have any further questions. 

17 Posts

March 6th, 2013 14:00

Installed the Ultimate N6300 and the Windows 8 driver and am using my laptop now, so presumably everything is working OK thanks

1.8K Posts

March 6th, 2013 17:00

Hi xandarian, 

I am glad that the issue is resolved.

Please feel free to get in touch in case you have any further questions. 

1 Message

February 6th, 2016 16:00

Hello. I'd like would to upgrade the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 card in my 2011 Dell XPS 15. My order details do not specify if the card is  PCIe* Mini Card or Half Mini Card. Which one do I have? Is the list above suitable for replacing my Centrino N-1000?

No Events found!