Highlighted
toobusybyhalf
1 Copper

Using desktop wired but want to change to wireless

Jump to solution

Hi

I have a wireless network but my desktop uses a wired connection. I want to move it too far to retain the wire. How do I know if it has a wireless card? there are 2 devices under 'network adapters' in device manager - one called Broadcom 802.11g the other Intel(R) 82562V. I assume neither of these is a wireless card, or is it? if not, could it be somewhere else or does that mean I don't have one? if not, can I get one installed do you think? how would I go about that?

many thanks in advance for any help you can offer

C

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
7- Thorium

Re: Using desktop wired but want to change to wireless

Jump to solution

toobusybyhalf,

If you're running Vista/Windows 7, try running Finding System Information and at the bottom it will tell you the network adapters that are on your operating system.

If you have slots on the desktop, in the back, then you can purchase a wireless card. Usually has an antenna. If no slots, then you can purchase a USB Wireless adapter. It should work as long as your wireless router is using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings and I use channel 11.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

View solution in original post

1 Reply
7- Thorium

Re: Using desktop wired but want to change to wireless

Jump to solution

toobusybyhalf,

If you're running Vista/Windows 7, try running Finding System Information and at the bottom it will tell you the network adapters that are on your operating system.

If you have slots on the desktop, in the back, then you can purchase a wireless card. Usually has an antenna. If no slots, then you can purchase a USB Wireless adapter. It should work as long as your wireless router is using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings and I use channel 11.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

View solution in original post