Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2013 11:00

Verizon Wireless M-fi 2200

I'm unable to keep my wireless printer connected -  think it has something to do with not having a static IP address.  Not exactly sure what that means or what can be done, but it's extremely frustrating when I want to print something to have the printer be offline.  Not only is it offline, but I can't get it to connect.  I've tried to disconnect/reconnect the internet connection - sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.  I've tried rebooting computer - sometimes that works, sometimes not.  I know absolutely nothing about IP addresses, but I do occasionally get a popup that a "conflict in IP address has been detected" (or words to that effect).  If anyone wants to try to help me with this, please know that I'm 70, and if there are 10 steps involved, you need to start with #1 and not assume that "any idiot should know the first 3 or 4 steps".  I say this because that has been my problem in the past with forums when I've sought help.  Ports?  no clue.  Incoming/outgoing info - no clue.  ETC.  Basic computer info that I DO know:

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit 

IE10

Inspiron N5010

Printer is HP 2710 Photosmart

This may or may not be relevant.  I live in a rural area; however, my signal strength almost always shows to be "excellent".  If anyone is willing to tackle this, I'd be so grateful.  Thank you.

9 Posts

August 24th, 2013 09:00

Hi Rick:  I don't know if I still need assistance or not.  Coincidentally (?) I got a HP update notice this morning and have downloaded a program they recommended for the IP address conflict.  A few days ago, I ended up with two HP 2700 in my devices/printers. When one of them wouldn't work, the other one would.  So, I do have access to the printer.  All I have to do is click to see which one shows as "ready".  I know that isn't the ideal solution, but "works for me".....and i'm so tired of dealing with computer problems.  If it's not IP addresses, it's Live Mail or Yahoo.  I'm going to consider it as solved ad extend my sincere thanks again for your help. K

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 20th, 2013 03:00

Kay Hill,

I am willing to help, but the forums will be down from August 21st to the 23rd for upgrades.

Wake the printer and see if it's online. Hopefully it has a WiFi light. If it shows connected...

Copy the text between the lines.

==========================

ipconfig /all > "%userprofile%\Desktop\ipinfo.txt"
arp -a >> "%userprofile%\Desktop\ipinfo.txt"
notepad "%userprofile%\Desktop\ipinfo.txt"

==========================

Open Notepad

Paste the words between the lines and save as ipinfo.cmd

Right click on ipinfo.cmd, left click run as administrator.

Scroll down near the bottom and you should see a list of ip addresses.

Example:

Interface: 192.168.1.103 --- 0xf
  Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
  192.168.1.1           00-1d-7e-f8-d1     dynamic  
  192.168.1.102         c0-cb-38-1c-c5     dynamic  
  192.168.1.106         00-16-6f-98-35     dynamic  
  192.168.1.145         00-20-00-72-9b     dynamic  
  192.168.1.255         ff-ff-ff-ff-ff     static

The top number is usually the default gateway, used to log in to the router.

The bottom number might be the top of the range of IP Addresses you're allowed.

The numbers in the middle are Ip addresses for computers and your printer.

Open Internet Explorer and type the ip address in the address bar and hit enter. Try each one until you find the printer. When you find the printer, you'll see the printers configuration page. You should be able to find a setting there to give the printer a static ip address.

On all computers, try these tweaks...

Start, control panel, device manager.

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

9 Posts

August 20th, 2013 08:00

Rick, thank you.  I found the printer IP.  The site asked for my Wi-Fi passphrase which I entered (twice to make sure it matched).  Then it said something about losing connection between printer & browser if I clicked 'finish" and going to printer menu for IP, etc.  I knew I would not be able to do what they were saying correctly, so I cancelled..  BTW, I have 7 IP addresses - does that seem like a lot?  And can you give me any help to do the other correctly?  I'm beginning to think I should just quit trying to use this wireless printer and go back to the USB!  I do very much appreciate your help.  k

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 20th, 2013 10:00

Kay Hill,

The site asked for my Wi-Fi passphrase which I entered (twice to make sure it matched).

That sounds like you logged in to your wireless router.

Here are instructions I found to the printer I own and how to set the IP Address.

Setting static IP Address for the Dell V715w Printer

The screenshots should be helpful.

Rick

9 Posts

August 20th, 2013 14:00

I'm really sorry, but I'm just so frustrated that I can't even type!  If there's the slightest "glitch" when I try to do something, it throws me completely into a dither.  

just tried to access the page that had the printer IP address.  It was for the printer because it was a HP site. I was going to "snip" it and send to you, but  now my computer "cannot display the page".  What's up with that?  I'll try the link you sent in your most recent email.  Thanks.

I guess I'll just have to take it to a computer tech and pay to have this done.  I appreciate everyone's attempt at helping, but I would have no idea what I want to set the IP address as.  thanks, all.

9 Posts

I just tried to access the page that had the printer IP address.  It was for the printer because it was a HP site. I was going to "snip" it and send to you, but  now my computer "cannot display the page".  What's up with that?  I'll try the link you sent in your most recent email.  Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Kay Hill,

The top number

192.168.1.1 (default gateway)

bottom number

Make the ip address near the high number, like 192.168.1.145

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Kay Hill,

Emails go to a no reply email address.

Make sure the printer is turned on, then try access again.

Hit Ctrl and PrntScr

This should save the page to your clipboard. Then open paint and paste it there. Save the image.

Then click on the little landscape icon and upload the picture there.

Rick

9 Posts

August 20th, 2013 15:00

My posts keep showing up in the wrong place.  What am I doing wrong?  See below.

9 Posts

I keep posting in the wrong spot here and am sending myself emails!!!!   HELP!

9 Posts

I've got emails, notepad notes, forum discussions everywhere & no longer even know what I was trying to do first.  I've never used paint, and the last thing I need to try to do right now is learn something else new!  If you wouldn't mind, can we just hold off on this for a few days (maybe after the maintenance period), then try again?  Could you be nice enough to put me on your "to do" list?  Maybe by then I'll have calmed down & not be so stressed. Many thanks.  k

9 Posts

I've got emails, notepad notes, forum discussions everywhere & no longer even know what I was trying to do first.  I've never used paint, and the last thing I need to try to do right now is learn something else new!  If you wouldn't mind, can we just hold off on this for a few days (maybe after the maintenance period), then try again?  Could you be nice enough to put me on your "to do" list?  Maybe by then I'll have calmed down & not be so stressed. Many thanks.  k

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Kay Hill,

When you post here, an email goes to you and I also get one.

If you emailed the no reply address, there would be a screenshot in the sent folder with the image.

If we cannot get this working befor tonight, the forums will be down for 3 days for upgrades, we can continue then.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 24th, 2013 09:00

Kay Hill,

If you still need assistance, the forums are back from the upgrade.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 24th, 2013 13:00

Kay Hill,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Make a system restore point.

Start, control panel, devices and printers.

Find the printer that is not online. Right click on it, left click remove device. This should remove the printer that is not working.

If you have problems, you can use system restore and come back to what you currently have.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!