Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2009 14:00

Very slow wireless connection

Hello,

I am owner of Dell Studio 1555 and I have Dell Wireless 1397  WLAN Mini Card on my board. There is a problem when I am connected to my router and Internet runs very slow. Signal strenght is excellent, I am using WPA2 encryption. There is no problem to connect to the network, I had just to setup ipv4 settings like IP, gate and so on because automatic setting hadnt work. So I run my firefox and google loads pretty okey but slow. Then it's impossible to surf because downloading speed is something like 1 kb/s. When I plug in ethernet cable then it's everything all right. I was trying to reinstall drivers but nothing changed. I use windows vista. I was trying connection also in ubuntu linux system but same problem occurs. My friend is using wireless connection from the same router and it is everything all right for him. How to speed up connection?

Best wishes

Simon

July 15th, 2011 08:00

If you connect the laptop to the router (or the modem) with a cable? If this gives high speed, then you may need to change the Channel your router is using. It's probably on 11. Change to 1 or 5. Interference from other wireless equipment can greatly reduce wireless connect speeds.

2 Posts

September 16th, 2009 08:00

Hi, I have the same issue with my Studio 1555. My internet connection is 29 Mbit. When I do some tests at speedtest.net I reach max 0.8 Mbit download and 7-8 Mbit upload. When I plug my cable everything is fine. It seems that something is limited my connection:

April 30th, 2010 15:00

Hi,

I have a very similar problem and would be interested to hear if anyone has a solution.  My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1545, but I have the same Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini Card and it is also running very slow on download speed.  Signal strength is also excellent, it works fine plugged in directly to the router, and my roommate's wireless connection to the same router works fine as well.  Surfing the web and downloading are extremely slow.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Noah

3 Posts

October 20th, 2010 19:00

Same problem here as well.. 1545, 1397 Wireless and Windows 7 32-bit --- very very slow and high ping/latency.

Ping loses 50% of the packets and if I ping from my router it is fine..

Using WPA2 and that is where I get slowness..no security, no problem!

Ug.

Downloading latest drivers now to see if it helps.

November 14th, 2014 23:00

Resurrecting a old thread. Hopefully this can help somebody out there. I was having very slow wifi on my laptop, but my computer on wifi was running very fast. I went into my router and played around switching the wireless channels... it was on "automatic" but i switched it to manual and went through many channels 1 at a time until i found that my laptop connects best on channel 2. It switched my speedtest download speed from 1mbps or less up to 29mpbs... And my other computer still connects at very fast wifi speeds... Good luck guys

No Events found!