Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2013 15:00

Vostro 3560 disconnecting constantly from wireless

Hi there. I just received my Vostro 3560 monday afternoon and I have been having issues with the wireless. I have updated everything and it still receives "hiccups" every 30 seconds to 5 minutes. The connection refuses to stay longer than that. I have two other laptops in the house and have never had a problem. I am unsure what steps to take now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1.5K Posts

July 19th, 2013 16:00

Hi Rhea,

Please share the Operating System installed. Also, I would recommend you to perform following changes in the Wireless Card properties:

• Press the key combination Windows Logo key + R key to open Run dialog box.
  • Type in devmgmt.msc and click OK.
  • The Device Manager windows will appear.
  • Click on the sign next to Network Adapters and expand it.
  • Right click on the Wireless Card and click on Properties from the drop down menu.
  • Click the Power Management tab
  • Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Also, change plan settings for the selected power profile. Here are the steps:

• Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
  • Double Click on Power Options.
  • Click the Advanced settings.
  • Set all option to maximum performance under Wireless Network adapter.

Observe the system performance and check if it makes any difference. Please reply with the information, I'll be happy to assist further.

October 25th, 2013 06:00

I bought Dell vostro 3560 ~ 7 months back. It has a problem getting connected to internet ever since I had bought it. The problem is there while using both wifi and brodband. It keeps disconnecting every 30 sec. Whereas on other laptops the same connection works smoothly. 

Unfortunately, I bought Dell vostro as I have used Dell vostro 1400 for 5 years and the best part of that machine was that wifi used to work extremly well in that laptop. That was the only reason I selected  vostro laptop this time as well. Becasue of the internet problem I am not able to use my new laptop anymore.

1.5K Posts

October 25th, 2013 06:00

Hi Suruchi,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. Please share the operating system installed. Also, share the screenshot of the Device Manager with the Network Adapter expanded for me to identify the Wireless Card shipped on your system. Here are the steps:

• Press the key combination of 'Windows Logo' key + 'R' key to open 'Run' dialog box.
  • Type in 'devmgmt.msc' and click 'OK'.
  • The 'Device Manager' windows will appear.
  • Click on the sign next to Network Adapter and expand it.

Please share the information, I'll be happy to assist you.

October 25th, 2013 22:00

Hi Saharsh,

My operating system is win 7 home basic

Here is the network adapter button expanded

http://imgur.com/bu8wqfH

1.5K Posts

October 26th, 2013 04:00

Hi Suruchi,

Thank you for sharing the information.

Please update the Wireless drivers from the link http://dell.to/1gPfKRf. Download the drivers and follow the onscreen instruction to update them. If the issue still persists, please make the following changes to the Network Card properties:

• Open Device Manager
  • Expand Network Adapters, right click the wireless card and choose Properties
  • Make the following changes
    • Change 802.11h+d to Strict 11h
    • Change Afterburner to Enabled
    • Change Antenna Diversity to Main
    • Change AP Compatibility Mode to Broader Compatibility
    • Change BSS Mode to 802.11g Mode
    • Change BT-AMP to Enabled
    • Change Fragmentation Threshold to 2300
    • Change Locally Administered MAC Address to 1234567890AB (This step is important)
    • Change Minimum Power Consumption to Disabled
    • Change PLCP Header to Long
    • Change Roam Tendency to Aggressive
    • Change Roaming Decision to Optimize Distance
    • Change RTS Threshold to 2300
  • Click the Power Management tab
    • Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
  • Open Power Options
    • Click Change plan settings for the selected power profile
    • Click Change advanced power settings
    • Under Wireless Adapter Settings , click Power Saving Mode and change the settings to Maximum Performance

Hope this helps. Please reply with the results.

October 26th, 2013 11:00

Hi Saharsh,

I could not update the driver from the link that you have provided above. I have tried couple of times and here is the message that I kept getting everytime:

http://imgur.com/zwNNvTV

But I have done all other changes you that you have listed above. I  will let you know in case I see any improvement in the internet connection.

I am sorry I am ignorant about these things, but I also want you to know that I am having similar problem using LAN connection as well and I use a LAN cable/wire for it.  Will that also be solved by doing things related to wireless adapter only?

1.5K Posts

October 29th, 2013 03:00

Hi Suruchi,

Please share the results of the system performance. Also, you browser to download and save the drivers instead of using Dell Download Manager. Here are the steps:

• Click on the link shared above.
  • Click on Download File.
  • The file will be download on the system
  • Double click on it and follow the onscreen instructions to install the drivers.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

October 29th, 2013 06:00

Hi Saharsh,

I am facing the same problem while downloading the updates as well. But I could download the drivers and re install it .  Also I realized after making  the changes suggested by you as above. My wifi stopped working at all. But than I figured the problem was with one particular change.

• Change Locally Administered MAC Address to 1234567890AB (This step is important)

At my work place we can access wifi after giving our MAC ID to the IT department. And I am assuming that doing this particular change changed MAC ID of the comp. So I did not do this change.

At least for last two days internet is relatively OK. I am not sure though what helped most.

1.5K Posts

October 30th, 2013 00:00

Hi Suruchi,

Thank you for sharing the results. You may ignore changing the MAC address if it is a requirement for accessing the wireless connection in your company. The above shared changes and reinstallation of the updated drivers may have resulted in stable wireless connection. Also, please share which updates are not getting installed on the system and the exact error message that you get.

Please reply with the information, I'll be happy to assist.

Hi Saharsh,

I was able to install the updates as well. Presently the internet is working fine.

Thanks for the help.

1.5K Posts

Hi Suruchi,

Glad all is sorted for you. Feel free to reach out to us if you need any assistance in future.

6 Posts

March 13th, 2014 07:00

We too have wireless issues with our Vostro 3560's. We have 10 of them running Windows 7 Pro SP1. They have the 1901 wireless + bt card in them with the latest software. They do not stay connected to the wireless access points, while our 12 Latitude 2120s. and the Ipads and Ipods do. Installing an external ASUS USB-N10 adapter fixes the problem. This is not the best solution as these laptops are used by middle school students. The access points are Ubiquiti Unifis and Cisco 4410s.

March 17th, 2014 02:00

For me updating the device manager as suggested by Dell people helped.

http://dell.to/1gPfKRf

But I still feel that the inbuilt WiFi adapater/card with this model is not great. I will buy ASUS USB-N10.

Thanks.

6 Posts

March 17th, 2014 05:00

We've updated the network driver, the bios, and it still didn't help. The laptops will connect at first, but then not work on the network or internet.  The access points are using wpa psk for security. Right now I have them on the wired network. After we get past online testing in the schools I am going to contact Dell about this.

No Events found!