Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2012 09:00

WIFI problems on Dell xps 15 L521X

I got my Brand new xps 15 yesterday, It works fine, looks great, I'm overall satisfied with it. (even though it gets warm all the time)

Problem is, the WIFI doesn't work well at all, I'm 2 meters from my box right now, And I'm not experiencing any problems, but as soon as I get upstairs in my bedroom, my signal speed drops significantly, I can't even load a youtube video, I was downloading a game from steam yesterday, and the dl speed dropped to 6mb/s!! That's awful, If this problem can't be fixed, I'll be returning mine, and won't buy any other Dell product, I don't see how a laptop that pricey can have that kind of problems. ( because I heard I wasn't the only one, a lot of people have the same problem)

Anyways, if any of you have a solution to fix my problem (Like a Bios), I'd be really grateful.

Thanks !

(sorry for my english, I'm french)

2 Posts

September 28th, 2012 05:00

GONEWORKS, I would really suggest that you wait to see if these problems are resolved before you buy an XPS 15.

I have a funny feeling that the wifi problems may be a combination of problems. The primary one being quality control failure in the Chinese factory and bad antenna placement. I suspect that antenna placement and shielding is critical, and a few mm difference may be the difference between a good XPS and a bad one - which might explain why some XPS 15s work fine out of the box and some just don't (and these ones will NEVER be fixed with drivers, although drivers might help to increase power to the wifi card, etc.)

Bear in mind that Windows 8 comes out in less than a month, and so will a large number of new laptops.

I would have a look at some of those (when they come out) and see if there is an alternative to the XPS15 that you like IF the XPS problems haven't been fixed by then.

10 Posts

September 28th, 2012 06:00

So quick follow up.  New machine seems to be somewhat better, not dropping connection and what not, but still substandard speeds.  Updated all the drivers and it's now more usable at plus ten feet but speeds are still much lower than my old machine, around 2 to 4.5 mbit.  Quite a bit better than the old one, but I definitely would like to see more.  I'll be calling Dell tech support today to see what they make of it, and also trying to use the machine more for testing purposes.

13 Posts

September 28th, 2012 07:00

I think I will go to a store to check out the haptics of the computer.

If I like it (what I assume since you all said it is brilliant designed) I will order online to be just able to give it back in case it is a not good working one :)

maybe I am lucky, and since I dont find any other computer I want to have as much (from inner specs + design and feel) I think i'll give it a shot.

But thanks for your advise anyways POKO. :)

33 Posts

September 28th, 2012 10:00

Remember to try the network at Safe Mode. I noticed that the 15.3 Centrino drivers improved a lil' bit the signal, I'm testing once again and, as before, better at safe mode.

33 Posts

September 28th, 2012 11:00

I understand the theory of Poko70, which the combination of problems are affecting the wifi.

Though, I'm still testing the safe mode networking, this time at home office where older laptops couldn't reach wifi. I can't see videos on Youtube ofcourse, but I can work normally.

Everyone who had tested at safe mode had noticed an improvement of signal, this proves the production is not wrong, but the software is. If you are affected by this wifi issue, run safe mode and tell us how it goes.

Besides, I've my android phone right now with me, it doesn't get the house's wifi, but the laptop does.

10 Posts

September 28th, 2012 12:00

I have read tons of posts and followed thsi for awhile.  About three days ago, I was reading that new machines were fixed, so I called a Dell Sales rep. and they said the problem was fixed and the New XPS 15 no longer had WiFi problems.  Needless to say, there was a sale on, I ordered, next day delivery, tested the WiFi and ...just like everyone else - bad WiFi.  I understand all that everyone has done here and on other posts, but for me I have a couple of problems with the "resolutions" that Dell is asking us to accept.  I have spent about two hours on the phone with tech support being bounced from one rep to another and all they suggest is return the machine and order a new one - no exchange.  Plus they want to send someone out and check drivers.  Here are my issues with the proposed resolutions.

1)  If I return it, wait for the refund I will miss the sale price that I paid.  No one is offering to allow me to return this one and order a new one at the same price

2)  Having a tech come out, or having to load new drivers make no sense to me, I probably have too much tech at home and I don't agree that if I pay for a new machine I will need to have someone come over (on my time) and fix a brand new system - this crazy to me - especially at this price.

I appreciate all of you who have worked with Dell tech support to load new drivers, have a tech come out and replace hardware - but at some point, as consumers we have to say enough.  If the laptop is faulty - don't sell it anymore until there is a resolution.  I am not getting paid for my time spent on the phone just to get someone who can understand my situation,  It's as if our consumer "time" is not valuable.  In order to have a tech come out, now I have to schedule more time away from my life to sit with them while they "fix" a BRAND NEW PREMIUM COMPUTER.  Not to forget that by all of the posts I have read, none of the on-site tech visits have actually helped anyone.  There is no excuse that we have paid $2,000 (more/less) for PREMIUM system that needs Safe Mode, or a new card, motherboard, drivers or anything else to simply use the Wifi.

I have been a long time customer/consumer of Dell products - 3 laptop, Alienware Aurora, 2 PDA's before my M1330 and I loved the M1330 and went through that fiasco in the end.  BTW sent my M1330 to be fixed, and they lost the machine - replaced it with the original XPS 15.  I have since puchased a 15z (no real headaches) - and now I have the NEW XPS 15 - which needs to be replaced.

To Dell:  I have enjoyed your machines through the years, really haven't liked your support of major issues, but with this current XPS 15 WiFi (not to mention LCD and CPU/GPU issues) problem, it may be time for consumers to start talking with an attorney about a class action suit again. My faith in your sales people, time, patience, and money have all been provided to you without a viable solution.  Unacceptable.

10 Posts

September 28th, 2012 16:00

So I just ran some more tests, in my office getting 8.8 mbit normal, 14.5 mbit safe mode.  This machine is definitely better than the old one, and with some driver updates is fully capable of full download speeds, at least on my network.  I don't really care if I get full LAN speeds, as long as I can get fast enough to match my WAN speeds.   In my experience the hardware issues seem to be addressed just need some software tweaks and we will be 100%.

23 Posts

September 29th, 2012 12:00

''

13 Posts

September 29th, 2012 13:00

Regarding  the wifi issue i5 and i7 versions are the same?

13 Posts

September 29th, 2012 13:00

Guys.

Does anyone happen to know if the i5 version has the same throttling problems (next to the wifi) that the i7 shows?

I know this is not really the issue here - just see it as a small side question.

is anyone of you in still in contact to a DELL guy about the wifi?

23 Posts

September 29th, 2012 20:00

I personally have the i7. I'm curious if replacing the card would help? Somebody mentioned they had one replaced that wasn't as nice...but did it help?

13 Posts

September 30th, 2012 22:00

I ordered the 15 (I7 3612QM, 8GB, 1 TB, BL, 640m) today.

Let's see if it works :)

33 Posts

September 30th, 2012 23:00

Hello unclefarkus, I haven't seen anyone claiming that wireless card replacement has been helpful, so far.

I hope your l521x wifi's to work properly, that's the same config as mine. I don't know if i5 are affected too, haven't noticed.

10 Posts

October 1st, 2012 11:00

Mine is the i5, I don't think it is processor related.

7 Posts

October 6th, 2012 12:00

Hello All,

Received my XPS 15  L521x yesterday when I encountered the same dreadful wifi speeds.  I was getting ready to begin the return process after reading this forum but decided to check out  some things first.  I made changes to the Centrino adapter settings to 802.11g only to reflect my router - Verizon FiOS provided.  Did not make a difference.  I then compared the driver versions with the ones on my system, all seem updated excepted for the posted date but my BIOS version was A09.  Dell has an updated A11 BIOS version which was posted on October 4th.  Prior to updating the BIOS, I ran USI Wireless Speed Test speedtest.usiwireless.com and I was getting erratic download speeds of 2-5 Mbps and upload speeds do 9-10+ Mbps.  I ran the A11 BIOS update and re-ran the wireless speed test, and to my surprise I am now getting consistent download speeds of 10+ Mbps (I really did not expect this to work for me).  

Not sure if this will address everyones problem but it is worth a try.  I do understand the frustrations experienced by everyone and expect that Dell would have an extensive QA protocol in place before pushing shoddy products to the market.  That being said, if this update fails in a couple of days and I begin to experience the slow speeds, I will be returning the product for a full refund.  It is very unfair to have the customer troubleshoot issues on Dells behalf and get no compensation or discount for their troubles.  

Good luck to everyone.

No Events found!