Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2012 09:00

WIFI problems on Dell xps 15 L521X

I got my Brand new xps 15 yesterday, It works fine, looks great, I'm overall satisfied with it. (even though it gets warm all the time)

Problem is, the WIFI doesn't work well at all, I'm 2 meters from my box right now, And I'm not experiencing any problems, but as soon as I get upstairs in my bedroom, my signal speed drops significantly, I can't even load a youtube video, I was downloading a game from steam yesterday, and the dl speed dropped to 6mb/s!! That's awful, If this problem can't be fixed, I'll be returning mine, and won't buy any other Dell product, I don't see how a laptop that pricey can have that kind of problems. ( because I heard I wasn't the only one, a lot of people have the same problem)

Anyways, if any of you have a solution to fix my problem (Like a Bios), I'd be really grateful.

Thanks !

(sorry for my english, I'm french)

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

November 8th, 2012 10:00

It has been a while since I have stepped in here and I apologize for that.  As some of you may know the XPS 15 is currently being offered with Windows 8, new Windows 8 drivers and now the DW 1901 wireless card is being offered with the system.

For those of you still having problems with WIFI performance with the system please send me a private message, just click on the link in my signature and click start conversation and please include the service tag of the notebook, I may be able to help.

TB

November 9th, 2012 10:00

Hi Terry, I live in The Netherlands and i am planning to buy the Dell XPS 15 with the new DW 1901 Card, when will it be available here. i saw that this WIFI-card is currently available in the USA. hope to hear from you.

November 9th, 2012 13:00

hi fritefighter,

Could you check which WIFI-card you have.

The new one, like terry told before, should be better.
The old one, intel 6235, is bothering everyone here.

pls, let me know.

thnx

1 Message

November 13th, 2012 06:00

Hello Terry,

i still am experiencing troubles with WIfi eventhough i'm running latest drivers, disabled bios etc...

What now?  Any idea?

Greetings Wouter

77 Posts

November 13th, 2012 07:00

this was written on  the notebook forums a few minutes ago

Re: XPS 15 (L521X) Owner's Lounge

Hi there,
Some days ago, a tech guy came de replace the wifi card (by another Intel 6235) and the screen, this didn't change anything on the wifi side. Some minutes ago, I got a call from my dell representative to tell me they'll change the whole PC for the new, revised, L521x. It should be changed before the end of this month, I'll post some testing here.

36 Posts

November 13th, 2012 13:00

I am getting a new XPS15 with DW1901 WiFi NIC soon. Will post results here later.

1 Message

November 14th, 2012 19:00

Went through the same troubleshooting. Dell issued me a new XPS 15 during a system exchange. The Intel Centrino card was garbage. Swapped with a DW1901 and the card is rock solid.

8 Posts

November 16th, 2012 08:00

Will Dell send us free or sell us the new card?

10 Posts

November 16th, 2012 08:00

Don't know your situation, when you bought the machine or location.  But over the past week or so, Dell support people have been offering solutions for bad wifi free of charge.  Again, I don't know your situation - don't see why you would be any different, look through this thread for Terry_B from Dell.  He has been very good for people to work with.

6 Posts

November 16th, 2012 16:00

I have the same problem.  I just got my XPS 15 after a 2 week delay.  As soon as I move to another room the signal drops - can't access internet.  I have an old ThinkPad with XP and it is just fine... streaming videos from youtube.

Great laptop but I can't handle this.

1 Message

November 19th, 2012 04:00

I ordered the L521x a few days ago before I realized the wide spread Wifi issues. The one I ordered comes with the Dell Wireless 1901 802.11a/b/g/n (2.4GHz and 5GHz).

Are people having issues with that particular wireless adapter?

Mc

6 Posts

November 19th, 2012 06:00

Before they sent mine they switched out that card and put in an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 and it still doesn't work.  It is fine up close.  Move to another room and I lose the signal.  Not good.

6 Posts

November 19th, 2012 13:00

[Created new post for L421X wifi issue.]

5 Posts

November 26th, 2012 10:00

I have an XPS 15 L521x (1 week old) which came with Win8 and Dell Wireless 1901 802.11a/b/g/n (2.4GHz and 5GHz).  Initially I connected it to a 2.4GHz network (Sagemcom router from Bell).  Speed was great (25d/9u) within 20' of the router on the same floor, however, dropped  unacceptably to 1d/5u when I went to a different floor in the house.  I connected a second 3yr old Cisco WAP610N router to the existing one and set it for 5Gz band with a different SSID name and static IP address.  I then connected the XPS15 to the 5Gz band and noticed a huge improvement in speed.  Both routers are in the basement but I can get 22d/7u even on the second floor of the house with my door closed (straight line distance approx 60 feet between router and test point).  So it looks like the Dell wireless card performs better in the 5Gz band.

1 Message

November 27th, 2012 03:00

This is the latest feedback from Dell (Terry B).  I sent him a message asking for any update on the system before I buy it.

"I do have some information regarding the XPS L521X. Current systems shipping out of the factory for North American customers are shipping with Windows 8 and the DW 1901 wireless card. Engineering has informed me that there are a number of hardware fixes other than the wireless card designed to reduce signal noise for WIFI reception. They are still working on tweaks to increasingly improve wireless performance.

I certainly suggest continuing to look at the forums where we start receiving reports from users with the Windows 8 system and see if they are getting better"

No Events found!