Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 5th, 2015 10:00

Wake on Lan Not Working

My Inspiron 15 (Windows 7) laptop used to wake up using WOL on my local network, but after I unplugged it from the network one day and then re-plugged, I appear to have completely lost this functionality no matter what I do.

I have:

• Ensured that my Internet is only coming to the machine through a wired connection.
  • The laptop is connected to a power source at all times.
  • I have gone into to my wired network adapter's setting and have enabled: Wake on Magic Packet, Wake on Pattern Match, Energy Efficient Ethernet, Allow the device to turn of the computer to save power, allow this device to wake the computer, only allow a magic packet to wake the computer.
  • I have consulted my BIOS (A10 Inspiron 3521) and I do not see any relevant settings and from what I can tell online WOL on should be enabled by default.
  • The software sending the magic packet is using the correct MAC address for the laptop and the IP address for the wired network adapter.
  • I am truly putting the laptop to sleep, and not into hibernate mode or shut-down. I thought that this was all that was required in order for a WOL to work on a local network, but I appear to be missing something.
  • I am able to wake my non-Windows computers on this same network using WOL.

I have also set my Power Options to the following:

• Wireless Adapter Setting: Power Saving Mode: Plugged in: Maximum Performance

• Sleep: Allow hybrid sleep: Plugged in: Off

• PCI Express: Link State Power Management: Off

Any help on this is greatly appreciated! Many a frustrated hour has already been spent on this and I am at my wit's end.

Thank you in advance.

1.8K Posts

April 17th, 2015 12:00

Hi,

Normally we don't handle advanced software configurations (such as Wake-On-Lan) here on these boards.  You may want to try one of the Dell Tech Center boards for more advanced help.   

The only help I can provide is to send you to the Microsoft Articles about Wake On Lan.  Sorry we couldn't be of more help here but you may find more community members over at DTC that are much more experienced at what you're trying to do.

Todd

May 15th, 2018 17:00

Seems like DHCP resetted your laptop's IP.

Give static IP to your laptop from your router.

Update new IP address in Magic packet sender application.

Try again

Cheers!!!

No Events found!