Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 3rd, 2015 10:00

Want to upgrade Inspiron N7010 to Windows 10 - Broadcom WIreless Adapter

I'd like to upgrade my Inspiron N7010 to Windows 10 but I get a message from the GWX check saying my Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter is not compatible and it might impact my internet connection. 

I have a Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter AND a DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card installed.

But if I check my Network settings (in Network and Sharing Center) , it shows the DW1501 as being used (Wireless Network Connection), and a red "X" next to the Broadcom adapter (Local Area Network 2). 

Does that mean the Broadcom adapter isn't being used?  I even went in and disabled the Broadcom driver in Device Manager and my Wireless connection is fine.   I'm just wondering what the Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter is used for, and if installing Windows 10 will impact me.  And would I need to physically uninstall this "adapter", or just uninstall the driver in order to install Windows 10?  Or maybe by chance Broadcom or Dell might make an updated/compatible driver available.  Thanks.

1.8K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 14:00

Hi,

There are two parts to the Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter from what I understand.  The actual driver and a software application to run your wireless connections.  In this instance it sounds like your system is configured to use Windows to control your network / wireless connections.  

Since your system is not on the list of models we've tested and confirmed Win10 compatibility for I don't expect there to be a driver released directly for your system.  There are a few threads on these networking boards plus the Windows 10 board where people are discussing how to get Windows 10 to work correctly on their systems even if they're not on the tested list. 

The main thing, from what I've seen so far, is making sure you have the latest driver, for your version of Windows, installed when you try to run the Windows 10 compatibility tool.

Todd

12 Posts

August 4th, 2015 05:00

Thanks Todd.

But if   Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections shows a red X next to the Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter, doesn't that mean it isn't being used for my connection?  And instead, I'm using the DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card?

I'm wondering if maybe I just need to uninstall the Broadcom driver?

1.8K Posts

August 4th, 2015 12:00

Thanks Todd.

But if   Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections shows a red X next to the Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter, doesn't that mean it isn't being used for my connection?  And instead, I'm using the DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card?

I'm wondering if maybe I just need to uninstall the Broadcom driver?

Hi,

Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding, I should have explained better.  

The Dell DW1501 card is manufactured for Dell by Broadcom.  The drivers for the card are originally written by Broadcom, then tested, packaged, and released by Dell.  So when you download the driver from the Dell site you're actually downloading the Broadcom software as well.

My best guess is that currently you're using Windows, instead of the Broadcom utility, to manage your wireless connections.   No need to remove the Broadcom software as long as things are working correctly.  

Now, whether that software will interfere with the Windows 10 update, I can't answer that.  I don't know for a fact one way or the other.   Some people are able to get Windows 10 installed on systems we didn't list as tested and compatible, others don't.   There are so many variations on people's systems, configurations, and software they have on them it's difficult to point to one thing that can cause issues with the upgrade.

If you want to do the Win10 upgrade then I first suggest doing a backup of your data and creating Windows restore points.  That way in case anything goes wrong you have something to fall back on.

Todd

12 Posts

August 4th, 2015 13:00

Thanks Todd!!!

September 2nd, 2015 09:00

No Events found!