Highlighted
Drewbiedoo
Copper

What are some ways to wirelessly connect my desktop to the internet?

Jump to solution

I have a Dell DIM 2400. I just got it back from the shop and it is working great, but I want to put it upstairs. My modem and router are downstairs because that is where all of the necessary wires are located. I don't want to have to run tons of cable through my house or my walls. What are some of the ways that I can connect it wirelessly (preferably inexpensive)? I've heard that I can get a USB connecter, and all I have to do is install some software. Would that work for my computer? Or would I have to buy a wireless card and install it myself? Also, my router is D-Link. Would I need to get a D-Link USB connecter?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: What are some ways to wirelessly connect my desktop to the internet?

Jump to solution

Drewbiedoo,

Installing a wireless card would probably be the better solution. Using a USB Wireless adapter would also be another option. You just need to have the wireless router in a central location so the signal travels in all direcctions that it's needed to go. I also would recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings to make the connections work at their best.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

Jump to solution

Drewbiedoo,

I also forgot to mention, most people recommend using the same products but I have a Netgear WGR111v2 connecting to my Linksys WRT54GS and also have a Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300 connecting my 964 printer to the network with NO Problesm, using the settings I recommended.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

Drewbiedoo
Copper

Jump to solution

Oh it doesn't matter then? Okay, thank you so much!

I'l have to check out Best Buy then for a wireless card. Once again, thank you for your help. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos