Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2009 12:00

What are some ways to wirelessly connect my desktop to the internet?

I have a Dell DIM 2400. I just got it back from the shop and it is working great, but I want to put it upstairs. My modem and router are downstairs because that is where all of the necessary wires are located. I don't want to have to run tons of cable through my house or my walls. What are some of the ways that I can connect it wirelessly (preferably inexpensive)? I've heard that I can get a USB connecter, and all I have to do is install some software. Would that work for my computer? Or would I have to buy a wireless card and install it myself? Also, my router is D-Link. Would I need to get a D-Link USB connecter?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Drewbiedoo,

I also forgot to mention, most people recommend using the same products but I have a Netgear WGR111v2 connecting to my Linksys WRT54GS and also have a Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300 connecting my 964 printer to the network with NO Problesm, using the settings I recommended.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Drewbiedoo,

Installing a wireless card would probably be the better solution. Using a USB Wireless adapter would also be another option. You just need to have the wireless router in a central location so the signal travels in all direcctions that it's needed to go. I also would recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings to make the connections work at their best.

Rick

2 Posts

March 27th, 2009 13:00

Oh it doesn't matter then? Okay, thank you so much!

I'l have to check out Best Buy then for a wireless card. Once again, thank you for your help. :)

No Events found!