Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MM

April 22nd, 2006 13:00

What is the best wireless router for use with a Dimension 2400 Computer

I am interested in setting up a home network (wireless) for two computers. One in the basement and the other in an upstairs study.  I searched the net and found both pro's and cons on various routers etc. Its somewhat confusing a few horror stories along the way. My question? Based on your personal experience, what would your consider a better router purchase and why?. I also planned on going with either the PCI cards or USB connection. The other computer is my daughter's HP-512.

Comments and recommedations appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

13 Posts

April 23rd, 2006 03:00

I have had a Linksys for about 3 years and never had a problem with it.  In fact I reinstalled it today on my new XPS 600 and included my daughters desktop and my wife's laptop.  Any wireless network can be tricky to set up the first time but you can get through it if I did it.

14 Posts

April 23rd, 2006 13:00

Thanks for the help.

I have read all of the horror stories about using netgear, linksys and d-link routers and was looking for some unbiased experience. 

I may call upon you and the forum for help, if I have any problems.

13 Posts

April 23rd, 2006 13:00

I had a D-link and could never get it to work.  Both my sons are in the "computer world" and neither could get it to work.  Linksys is very easy.

6 Posts

April 24th, 2006 01:00

I use Linksys router and LOVE IT. They have a GREAT online help that will set your router up and help to connect your wireless. I tried to do things the "other" way, and became frustated but found their site with its walk thru (does it alone really), and if you still need assistance, you get LIVE help and quickly also..

It is called "easy connect" and you can see it here:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1114037290855&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

I had used a d-link before and a belcon, and will never go back to those, i Love the linksys router.

14 Posts

April 25th, 2006 11:00

Thanks for the input. The house is two stories.

2K Posts

April 25th, 2006 11:00

I am assuming that "upstairs" and "basement" mean that there is a full floor (storey) between the two levels (that is, the systems will be on Level 1 and Level 3).
Since the shape of a wireless is essentially flat, this seems very chancey to me. On our campus which I work to support (technical) when we have wireless on three floors (we do) then we have multiple access points on EACH of the three levels! Based on my only personal experience on a TWO-level house that is fairly long, the Pre-N router and Pre-N PC card for the notebook worked great but I don't know about 3 levels in a house. The Pre-N has multiple antennas and supposedly creates a stronger connection. It is more expensive and in my case we purchased both from the same vendor and are not trying to do any other wireless devices. If I had intended to connect the desk computer then I would also have purchased a PCI Pre-N from the same manufacturer.
No Events found!