dosers
2 Iron

What is the difference (if any) between AUX and MAIN antennas on the Truemobile cards in systems with 2 antennas ?

In other words - does it matter which antenna in a C400 or C640 etc (with 2 built-in antennas) is hooked up to which port on the 1150 or 1300 cards ? THe manuals NEVER specificy any differences, and while the cables are colour-coded in the C400, they are both black in the C640.

If you connect both, and the drivers is using both (diversity), is there a difference between them at all ? One cable / antenna any better than the other ?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mattcowger
5 Tungsten

Re: What is the difference (if any) between AUX and MAIN antennas on the Truemobile cards in systems with 2 antennas ?

Antenna diversity is always nice, but if you can't hook them both up, use the MAIN one.
0 Kudos
dosers
2 Iron

Re: What is the difference (if any) between AUX and MAIN antennas on the Truemobile cards in systems with 2 antennas ?

Matt,

thanks. If I CAN hook both up though - is there a difference ? I.e. do I have to be worried about which cable should go to which hook-up (aux or main) if used in a Latitude WITH 2 antennas ? C400 and C640 specifically ?

thx

d

0 Kudos
johnallg
6 Indium

On notebooks with two antenna leads (one white and one black) it has been posted by another user one is for 2.4ghz and one for 5 ghz, but I forget which is which.  If only one antenna lead, then hook to the MAIN as has been atated and disable antenna diversity in the driver Advanced tab area.
0 Kudos
dosers
2 Iron

Interesting! The plot thickens - I have opened a 3 or 4 CP400 and CP640 now (all with 1150 cards 'only') - they all have 2 antenna leads and all had both connected to the 1150, even though it's only a 'b' card....

It SEEMS also, that most of the time, the black lead was 'main', but on one 640 it was the other way around - and ALL came like that from Dell.... ?!!!

Dan

0 Kudos
johnallg
6 Indium

It is highly probably the colors on those notebooks is for MAIN and AUX.  IIRC, the TM 1400 dual-band card wasn't out when the 4150 was sold.
0 Kudos
dosers
2 Iron

hm - so on these laptops (as you say, no 'a' out at the time) the two leads are the same ?

It certainly seems on the C400 if nothing else, they are identical, just one on each side (underneath the panel with the HD lights and the on/off button) ....

d

0 Kudos