Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2010 03:00

Wi-Fi Network Adapter

I have a Inspiron 530s desktop which doesnt have a Wi-Fi Network Adapter.  How do I go about getting one now -  what's the best solution?  I have cable connection at home.  Also, I am thinking of purchasing a laptop so I can access the Internet Wirelessly!

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 18th, 2010 04:00

Hi, Jeevika:

You need two things, a wireless router (connects to your cable modem) and a wireless PCI card (goes in your computer). These are just examples. You can do your own homework and shopping.

Good luck!

626 Posts

January 18th, 2010 15:00

I personally prefer Netgear, Linksys, and Buffalo.  Here are some suggestions:

An affordable and reliable setup capable of 54 megabits per second would be as follows:

$45.99 Netgear 802.11g Wireless PCI adapter - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Networking_Enterprise_Class/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0130532

$55.99 Netgear WG602 54 Mbps Wireless Access Point - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Networking_Business_Client/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0097035

A slightly more expensive and reliable setup capable of 270 megabits per second would be as follows:

$69.99 Netgear 802.11n Wireless PCI adapter - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Networking_Enterprise_Class/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0724219

$65.99 Netgear 802.11n WNR1000 Wireless Router - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Networking_Enterprise_Class/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A2866576

-----

Keep in mind that you'll only see speeds of 54 megabits to 270 megabits per second on your local area network.  Most cable internet service offers speeds from 1 megabit to 20 megabits per second, which is significantly slower than 54 megabits.  Regardless, at this point in time, I'd recommend getting 802.11n (nickname Wireless N) which is the highest speed wireless ethernet available on the market right now.  And it's affordable enough.

13 Posts

January 18th, 2010 23:00

Do you have a router already? If nto you need to get one - a Wireless-G router would do.

For the WiFi adapter you have two options - its either get a Wireless-G USB adapter or a Wireless-G PCIE/PCI adapter (before using the PCIE or PCI adapter make sure that you have an available slot on the PC).

If you have problems installing you may check My Supportrix Kbase and look for the article "How to Install a PCI Card".

Hope this would help.

Thanks

DoctorScott

626 Posts

January 19th, 2010 08:00

For the WiFi adapter you have two options - its either get a Wireless-G USB adapter or a Wireless-G PCIE/PCI adapter (before using the PCIE or PCI adapter make sure that you have an available slot on the PC).

Excellent post DoctorScott.  Something that I'd like to mention to the original poster is that I've personally had more success from Wireless PCIe and PCI adapters.  They seem to give me better reception and less heating/cooling issues than their USB counterparts.  I'm sure that there are good USB wireless adapters but I've had more success with PCI and PCI wireless adapters.

4.6K Posts

January 19th, 2010 09:00

I agree with the recommendation for a wireless PCI card, rather than a wireless USB adapter - for exactly the same reasons mentioned above (better/more reliable connections).

However... if you can stretch to it - and your internet connection speed is up to it (i.e. 8Mb+), I'd recommend opting for wireless N products, rather than wireless G.

I've personally almost always chosen Linksys products, but Belkin offer some tasty wireless products as well now - i.e. their Ni wireless router and PCI N1 wireless desktop card.

But whichever make/model you decide to go for - shop around (always good advice anyway of course), because you can sometimes find the two components (router/desktop card) combined into a 'bundle', at a slightly lower price than buying them separately :emotion-5:

No Events found!