Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 27th, 2012 19:00

Wi-fi won't work

Hello everyone!

So here's my situation. I recently re-installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my DELL INSPIRON 1546 and everything seems to work fine, except the wi-fi. It won't search for any wireless devices (including the router I have at home), showing "Not connected. No connections available". The wi-fi hotkey is not working.

When checking the Device Manager, it shows me that no Network Controller driver was found. As I could not get the driver online, I downloaded it from Dell website via my friends PC and got it into my PC via USB stick. Here comes the most interesting part...

When I try to install the driver, it says that it is not compatible with my system.

That is basically where I am at now. I've tried everything and it is still not working. I would appreciate any help. Thanks to everyone in advance.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 27th, 2012 20:00

DimaLancaster,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Desktop/Notebook system software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

October 27th, 2012 21:00

Yes, I did all of that. The software utility driver says my system is not supported, although I double-checked if the driver I download is compatible with my system. Also re-installed Windows and made it x86, tried the driver with that configuration. Nothing.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 28th, 2012 05:00

DimaLancaster,

You installed the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers first, then followed the list?

Which Inspiron 1546 do you have, the Intel or the AMD?

Rick

October 28th, 2012 16:00

Yes, I did. And it all went ok, but when I got to the network drivers, right after unzipping it says that, "no compatible hardware was found. The software you are attempting to install is not supported on this system." (((

I have an Intel Inspiron 1546.

October 28th, 2012 20:00

I'm guessing that is all because my wireless adapter has not been installed. In Device Manager I have two devices - Network Controller and PCI Simple Communications Controller - saying that, "the drivers for this device are not installed". When I tried installing them though, I got an error message saying it didn't find any compatible hardware.

I ordered a LAN cable on ebay a couple hours ago. Will my PC download drivers for wireless devices, if I connect to the Internet via wired connection?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

DimaLancaster,

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and REGISTERED OWNER and post the information back here.

Rick

Sure.

Host Name:                 LANCASTER-PC

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

OS Version:                6.1.7600 N/A Build 7600

OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation

OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation

OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free

Original Install Date:     10/28/2012, 10:32:33 PM

System Boot Time:          10/30/2012, 1:07:51 AM

System Manufacturer:       Dell Inc.

System Model:              Inspiron 1564

System Type:               x64-based PC

Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.

[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~2534 Mhz

BIOS Version:              Dell Inc. A13, 3/29/2011

Windows Directory:         C:\Windows

System Directory:          C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device:               \Device\HarddiskVolume1

System Locale:             en-us;English (United States)

Input Locale:              en-us;English (United States)

Time Zone:                 (UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

Total Physical Memory:     3,957 MB

Available Physical Memory: 3,150 MB

Virtual Memory: Max Size:  7,911 MB

Virtual Memory: Available: 7,037 MB

Virtual Memory: In Use:    874 MB

Page File Location(s):     C:\pagefile.sys

Domain:                    WORKGROUP

Logon Server:              \\LANCASTER-PC

Hotfix(s):                 8 Hotfix(s) Installed.

[01]: KB974476

[02]: KB974560

[03]: KB975599

[04]: KB975617

[05]: KB975741

[06]: KB976781

[07]: KB977178

[08]: KB978258

Network Card(s):           1 NIC(s) Installed.

[01]: Realtek RTL8102E/RTL8103E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

Connection Name: Local Area Connection

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

DimaLancaster,

If you installed the Dell Systen software and the chipset drivers first, the rest of the drivers should install. The Dell System Software and the chipset drivers know what is attached to your system.

I don't see any wireless adapter listed. Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 28th, 2012 21:00

DimaLancaster,

If you're connected, you can do that. You can lso download the drivers and save them to a flash drive or burn them to a CD/DVD and put them on the problem computer.

Go to Dell Warranty Status enter your service tag, then click on system, original configuration. It will be listed which wireless adapter you have installed.

Rick

3.8K Posts

May 21st, 2013 06:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                    

No Events found!